The ingredients in a traditional Victoria Sponge (sometimes called a Victoria Sandwich) are – eggs, flour, sugar, and butter – should be of equal weight; the eggs are weighed in their shell
NOTE: It took me two times to get the right sponginess.
- 6 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 6 oz sugar
- 3 eggs – well beaten
- 6 oz Cake flour or, self rising flour
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Strawberry Jam
- Greek Yogurt (this is optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is pale and light.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well between each addition
- Sift the flour into the bowl and fold in until the mixture is glossy and smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the mini cake tins
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 15 minutes until golden-brown
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for two minutes and then ease onto a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Cut each cake in half
- Spread a layer of yogurt on each cake base
- Drizzle the jam over the yogurt
- Place the sponge tops on and lightly sift icing sugar over the cakes.
More Cakes –