I make Banana Bread a lot at home because, invariably, the last two or three bananas end up attracting fruit flies. However, my kids are not fond of bananas – in any form. I have tried smoothies to cakes to breads but nothing works. But guess what, this time around, I was able to out smart them. Yay to Moms! All I did was, added dark chocolate to the mix and ended up with a dessert they couldn’t keep their hands off.
Chocolate Banana Bread with Nutella Glaze
The Chocolate Banana Bread came out to be cakey, not very sweet and extremely soft. The best part was, you couldn’t make out if there is bananas in it.
Bottom line is, if you got a fussy kid who doesn’t like healthy stuff, this is the best way to cheat them. They will be thinking they are eating chocolate cake and least they would know that, its a a piece of cake bread that’s loaded with healthy benefits of a banana.
I also mixed together some nutella and Milk to make a glaze which was insanely tasty.
Here is Chocolate Banana Bread with Nutella Glaze.
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) with a rack in the middle.
- Purée or mash the peeled ripe bananas until smooth
- Place the banana purée into a large mixing bowl. Stir the melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar and salt. Whisk to break up any clumps of brown sugar. Stir in the beaten egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. One way to test is to gently push the center top of the chocolate banana bread down with your finger. If it feels relatively firm and bounces back when you release your finger, that’s a good sign that it’s done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Gently remove the loaf from the pan and place on a rack to cool completely.
- 1/2 cup full fat milk
- 1 cup Nutella
Place Nutella and milk in microwave safe dish; heat for 30 seconds or until smooth when stirred. Drizzle over warm bread , spreading evenly over Chocolate Banana Bread with a spatula.