This Sweet and Spicy Plum Chutney can be your make-ahead condiment for potlucks, family gatherings or dinner or lunch parties. Serve this with cheese, grilled meat, eggs, sandwiches, burgers etc. In fact, the options are endless. However you serve this Spiced Plum Chutney, just be sure this will be a sure shot crowd pleaser.
Ripe sweet plums, brown sugar, fresh chilies, ginger, cinnamon make this chutney a decadent condiment perfect for the winter months.
When I received a big bag full of freshly picked plums, my first thought was to photograph them and then I immediately thought of making chutney out of them before they go bad. And those were perfectly ripened to be turned into a nice yummy chutney.
For me, any kind of fresh chutneys or salsas is always welcome. Most of the time, I make this hot and spicy tomato chutney that I literally eat with everything – eggs, rice, parathas.
Anyone who knows me, they know that I’m literally on my toes till I hit the bed and my hectic schedule made me, putting this idea off, until I realized that, the fruit flies have started hovering around them. So, no more procrastination and I set out to make a Sweet and Spicy Plum Chutney.
If you raid my refrigerator, you will end up finding some or other kind of homemade chutneys – Tomato, Mint, and Cilantro or even plain Coconut.
Since a chutney is more savory than jams/jellies/relishes, they make a really good accompaniment to sandwiches, cheese plates, curries, grilled meats, naans etc.
I like my chutneys more spicy than sweet and I did the same for this chutney as well. Less sugar, more spiciness and that made this Sweet and Spicy Plum Chutney to balance out the right flavors and hit the right notes. The ginger added a nice touch which actually complimented the natural sweetness of the plums.
If you like your chutney hot and spicy with a big kick to it, then this Hot and Sweet Plum Chutney is THE recipe for you. It’s easy and shows you that really, truly, all you need is some super-ripe summer fruits and no preservatives at all.
So here is the recipe for a gingery, peppery Sweet and Spicy Plum Chutney.
- 15 to 20 plums, de-pitted and coarsely chopped (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 TSP Tamarind paste. If you don’t have tamarind available, use currants or cranberries
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
- 2 TBSP fresh ginger crushed
- 3 TBSP salt
- 5 to 6 fresh chilies
- Wash and cut the plums into quarters, discarding the pit. Leave the skin on. Slice plums roughly into a small, heavy saucepan.
- Add sugar, salt, ginger, sliced chilies and plums into the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, about 60 minutes, or until reduced by 1/3. Continue cooking, stirring frequently to make sure chutney does not burn, until chutney is syrupy, another 10 minutes.
- Remove chutney from heat and fill the sterilized jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace.
Pair up this Hot and Sweet Plum Chutney with almost anything – from spreading it over a piece of toast to adding it to fried rice or simply enjoy with a bag of tortilla chips or papads. There are a thousand ways that you can relish it.
PIN for Later: