The Blueberry Libation is a really delicious cocktail. I tried the Blueberry Libation, the first time at a wine bar called – The Back Bistro . A cool wine bar located very close to where I live. This is a place I really enjoy going to once in a while. I usually go there for happy hours and I like their wine collection, but that particular evening, I went for this Blueberry libation cocktail instead and it pleasantly surprised me.
Yes, yes, the Aigre-Doux got me for sure (I’m a sucker for anything French.., well, not everything..but French literature for sure). The bartender was nice enough to share the Blueberry Libation recipe with me (well, after I showed him my Smokey Sazerac post and then only he thought that, I meant business :))
I did alter the recipe a bit to suit me (as usual).
This is a two part cocktail recipe. First you have to make the Blueberry Aigre-Doux. Use frozen berries, because, they are easier to handle. Once you have the Blueberry Aigre-Doux ready, you can mix the cocktail and serve. The blueberry Aigre-Doux stay well in the refrigerator for over a month.
I made the Blueberry Libation for our friends last Saturday for a dinner party at home and our friends really loved it. I still have some leftover blueberry aigre-doux.
For the Blueberry Aigre-Doux.
- 1 cup red wine (I used a Merlot)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 TBSP red wine vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- In a pot over high heat, bring the wine, sugar, vinegar and salt to a boil.
- Add the blueberries and let it boil in the wine mixture for 5/7 minutes until the blueberries get soft but not mushy.
- Let cool. Store in refrigerator up to 1 month.
Note: Spoon this fruit and its sweet-sour liquid atop a grilled Camembert round or in cocktails, vinaigrettes and sauces.
For The Blueberry Libation Cocktail
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce Blueberry Aigre-Doux
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 TSP simple syrup (mix equal parts sugar and water in a small pan, bring to a simmer until the sugar has dissolved fully and let cool)
- 1 ounce pomegranate juice
- Soda water
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour in the vodka, aigre-doux, pomegranate juice, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Shake and then strain into a highball glass filled with ice.
- Top with soda water and garnish with blueberries.