I was scratching my head over what kind of dessert to make for my son’s birthday party. He is picky when it comes to desserts (and many other things). He does not complain or nag much.., he just would not eat it. Neither would he overwhelm you with compliments when you make something and he likes it. You know he enjoyed it by looking at his dinner plate…, It will be licked clean.
I didn’t want to make a standard chocolate cake. I wanted to bake something that can be enjoyed by the kids (mostly him) as well as by others. I bounced ideas with a few friends. My friend Sonal from http://simplyvegetarian777.com gave me the right perspective. While talking to her, I told her that, I like to mix homemade chhena (cottage cheese) with coconut and sugar and eat as a dessert, then why wouldn’t the Coconut Cheesecake with White Chocolate Drizzle wouldn’t be a hit with kids as well as with the adults. She suggested to buy a slice and get a taste of it before making it. I couldn’t do that because, I didn’t really find time.., instead what I did was, I asked another friend who was coming to the party to make a backup Tres Leches Cake (things we do for our kids!)🙂
The party was a blast. The Coconut Cream Cheesecake with White Chocolate Drizzle was an instantaneous hit amongst the kids as well as the adults. The backup Tres Leches Cake was there (In fact, that’s the cake my son blew the candles on and cut it.., since he had cut the Coconut Cream Cheesecake with White Chocolate Drizzle in the morning itself).
For me (strictly speaking for myself here) when there is no left-over left.., I know that, my guests ate well and for me that’s happiness. Here is my recipe for the Coconut Cream Cheesecake with White Chocolate Drizzle.
For the Crust:
- 20 Graham Crackers and a few coconut cookies (I used coconut thins from Trader joe’s)
- 5 TBSP Melted Butter
For the Filling:
- 3 8oz packages cream cheese
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes and 1/2 cup more for decoration
- 1 TBSP coconut rum (optional)
For the Topping:
- 6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped, use best-quality
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Crush the crackers in food processor and add melted butter and pulse to incorporate.
- Press mixture into the bottom of springform pan and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to firm.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add coconut cream, eggs, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Mix just until smooth.
- Fold coconuts flakes and coconut rum (if using) into mixture until fully blended.
- Spread evenly into the crust.
- Place a bowl of water below the pan in the oven. If your cheesecake will go in the second rack of the oven, then keep this this water filled bowl on the third rack of the over. This will help the cheesecake moistened while baking and prevent cracks.
- Bake in an 180C / 350F preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 120C / 250F and bake for another 60-90 minutes.
- Let cool overnight in the refrigerator.
For the white chocolate drizzle:
- Place finely chopped chocolate and cream in a bowl
- Set over warm water on low heat (water should not touch bottom of bowl).
- Stir very frequently until almost melted.
- Spread over the cooled coconut cream cheesecake. sprinkle coconuts and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Checkout some other great cake recipes: