Diwali is a big thing for Indians. They have started celebrating Diwali all over the world now. At my work here in California, USA.., we celebrate Diwali too, Indian food is catered, everyone dresses up in traditional Indian attire, there are diyas lighted up .., and generally, there is a festive mood in the air.
And Diwali isn’t completed without making platters and platters full of Indian sweet – gulab jamuns, kaju katlis to milk pedas. For this year Diwali, I thought of making pedas which are taste like bite sized milk fudges but with a finer and more distinct taste to it.
And, during Diwali, a lot of people distribute sweets (mithai). So if you want to make something sweet for your friends and relatives or even for co-workers at work, this Microwave Cardamom Peda are your go-to option.
I usually tend to favor recipes which have condensed milk in it, since, I’m mostly time crunched and this is why I decided to make these Microwave Cardamom Peda for this year’s Diwali Potluck at our place because it seemed fairly easy to make. Three reasons –
- Three ingredients
- Already available ingredients in the pantry
These Microwave Cardamom Peda are great for gifting to family and friends and they store well as well. It has a smooth and silky texture and it just melts in the mouth.
The first time when I made them, I added 1 cup of milk powder to 1 cup condensed milk and 1 stick butter. The taste was really good but the texture was a little chewy, which wasn’t bad at all but I wanted to get that authentic peda taste and texture that we get from pedas from the sweet shops in India. So, the second time around, I increased the amount of Milk Powder to 2 cups and the texture came out just the way I wanted it.
Here is the Microwave Cardamom Peda recipe, that’s not only very very easy to make but also a great crowd pleaser.
- 2 cups dry milk powder. I used Carnation Brands
- 1 stick Butter/ 8 TBSP Butter
- 1 cup Condensed Milk. I used Carnation Brands
- 1 TBSP finely ground Cardamom Powder
- Few drops of yellow color (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon sliced pistachios for garnishing
- In a microwave proof big bowl add, butter (room temperature), milk powder and condensed milk and heat for 1 minute
- Take the bowl out, add the cardamom powder and stir the mixture well
- Heat it again for 1 more minute. Repeat this process for 5 to 6 times and every time you take out the bowl from the microwave, stir the mixture vigorously.
- After the 6th time, the mixture should have a nice texture to it and would be beginning to leave the sides.
- Let it cool down for 15 to 20 mins.
- Put some butter or Ghee in your palms and Make them into ball rolling between your palms. Make a dent into the peda.
- Garnish them with pistachios.
You may also like my other festive desserts –