This Egg-less, Flour-Less Ricotta Cheese Tart has a very very similar taste to Chhena Poda – a desert which is unique to Odisha, India. I was not a very fan of Chhena Poda while growing up but much later in life, I started to enjoy it. For me, Chhena Poda is a much healthier version of all types of Cheese Cakes that we make here. Chhena Poda has no glutton in it and its nothing but Chhena or Homemade Cottage Cheese.., mixed together with sugar, cardamom powder and baked until the top caramelizes into a beautiful brown color. Some prefer the top to be a little crusty.
This Ricotta Cheese Tart is no egg and flour free. Its just pure cheese mixed with sugar and baked for 50 to 60 minutes. That’s it. Such a simple and unpretentious delicacy, no?
A few months ago, I did make the Coconut Cream Cheesecake with White Chocolate Drizzle which had everything that you normally find in a rich cheesecake – eggs, flour etc. But this one is very different. It is a basic gluten-free and vegetarian dessert that you can whip up any time of the day and enjoy without any guilt.
I made my Ras Malai Cream Cake last weekend for the Valentines’s Day baking. Used a yummy Ricotta Filling as the layering. I had some leftover Ricotta Filling and I ended up making this Ricotta Cheese Tart. I served the Ricotta Cheese Tart with fresh blueberries. You can serve it with any fresh fruits of your choice or just drizzle some warm honey on top and this will make a perfectly healthy, gluten-free low-calorie dessert.
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar or as per your taste
- 2 TBSP Semolina (optional – You don’t have to use semolina, you can use almond or coconut flour)
- 4 TBSP melted Butter
- 1 TBSP Lemon zest
- Blueberries or any other fruits to serve with it. I always use Driscoll Berries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix together Ricotta Cheese, Sugar, Semolina, Lemon zest and Butter well
- Grease a baking pan with little butter
- Pour the ricotta mixture into it and bake for 50-60 minutes until the top turns slightly brown
- Serve with fresh berries or fruits
PIN for Later