If you want something rich, delicious, and luxurious, try this Sticky date Pudding with Rum Caramel Sauce. The decadent rum caramel sauce makes adds loads of flavor and moistness to this already rich cake. And I’m not kidding! This dessert will make you HAPPY Perfect for fall evenings to autumn tea parties to long winter nights. Cozy up with your loved ones and enjoy this deliriously delicious sticky date pudding.
I made this Sticky Date Pudding with Rum Sauce, keeping my Ma in my mind. Mother’s Day is this month and I wanted to make something that she would actually like, and dedicate a post to her. Well, honestly speaking, all my recipes have her touch in some way or other.., so it doesn’t really make sense to dedicate only this one to her.
So, why the Rum Caramel Sauce then?Went out for dessert and drinks last Friday with a friend. We ordered this Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Sauce. It was DELICIOUS. The Date pudding with the rum caramel sauce was warm and then it was topped with cold vanilla ice cream.
Date cakes are not new to me. I invariably always make them, every time my parents visit me here. But this time, I added this Rum Caramel sauce as a twist and also instead of baking the date cake in a loaf pan, I baked these small mini cakes. That way, I don’t have to pour hot Rum Caramel Sauce on the whole loaf.
These individual servings are best when people are picky about how they want it. Speaking for myself, I want my Sticky Date Puddings with Rum Caramel Sauce a little warmed up and then topped with some good vanilla ice cream.
I also made these cakes with whole wheat flour and added neither eggs and nor butter.
If I have to bake one dessert for my mom, it has to be this Sticky Date Pudding. She would skip the Rum Caramel Sauce and the Ice cream, but she would gladly enjoy the mini-date cakes with her tea. She doesn’t add any sugar or milk in her tea. And these mini-Date cakes go perfectly with black coffee or tea.
Now to the recipe –
For the Date Cakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (Add more if you like)
- 30 seedless dates
- 1 cup milk
- 1 TSP baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 TSP vanilla essence
For the Rum Carmel Sauce
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- Slightly butter the muffin tins
- Pour the milk on the dates and warm in the Microwave for a minute or two. This will soften the dates
- Grind the dates along with the milk in a blender.
- Add the sugar to this date mixture and mix well.
- Shift the whole wheat, salt, and soda together and mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Do not over mix. Just mix enough with a spatula so that they all blend together. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin tins and bake for 35/40 minutes.
- For the Rum Carmel sauce –
- Combine the sugar and hot water in a heavy saucepan, and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens and turns a deep brown color, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and immediately add the heavy cream (be careful — the mixture will splatter). Return the pan to the heat and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the sauce is thick and creamy, stirring occasionally to help incorporate the cream, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rum, vanilla, and butter.
Pour warm rum caramel sauce on the date cakes and then top with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Drizzle some more sauce on top and enjoy.
Other EGGLESS Cakes –
PIN for Later: