This Misthi Doi Cheesecake is delicate, smooth, luscious and extremely yummy. Not only that, its also super quick and easy to make. I even kept it simpler by not adding a cheesecake crust. Plus, its eggless. What else can we ask for a dessert, right?
So, here is the Eggless, Crustless, Misthi Doi (Greek Yogurt) Cheesecake. Excited?
And for those, who don’t know what Misthi Doi is – Its an Eastern Indian Bengali sweet dish. Mishti means sweet in Bengali and Doi means yoghurt. The eastern part of India is famous for their array of desserts including, Sandesh, Patishapta, Rasgulla and of course, Mishti Doi.
Traditionally, Misthi Doi is served in earthen cups and enjoyed during grueling hot days. Actually, scratch that. Misthi Doi is enjoyed after every lip-smacking lunch or dinner – come summer or winter. In fact, the taste of Misthi Doi is very much like, cheesecake.
Usually, Cheesecakes are so delicious but very high in calories, but I realized that, without compromising the taste of a well made cheesecake, Greek yogurt can be very safely replaced with cream cheese and the result would be still lip smacking delicious.
So, here is the recipe for Misthi Doi Cheesecake which is adapted from Deeba Rajpal’s recipe.
- 2 cups or 250 grams Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd or Readymade Mishti Doi (I used Greek Yogurt)
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Cup or 200 ml full Cream
- Toppings of your choice (I choose raspberries)
- If your yogurt or readymade mishti doi is not very thick then, hang the yogurt in a muslin cloth for few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350 degree F.
- Mix everything together to make a smooth batter except for the topping
- Take a 6” diameter loose bottom cake tin and cover it on with aluminium foil on the outside to prevent any leakage. Place this on a cookie tray.
- Add the batter to the prepared tin and bake it for 20 minutes.
- When it has completely cooled to room temperature, cover the tin and keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Take it out on a cake stand and top with fresh fruits or toppings of your choice. I added a few strands of saffron and some raspberries.
Topping suggestions – fruit coulis, fresh fruits or berries, caramel/ butterscotch sauce with roasted peanuts, dark chocolate ganache
PIN for LATER: