Fall is almost here. Exactly a week away from today. Fall in the states mean everything pumpkin.., From your lattes to your cheesecakes to cookies to donuts. Only after coming to the USA, I realized that there are so many varieties of pumpkin – different sizes, shapes and color. I was taken by the concept that we welcome the harvesting season with pumpkins and Halloween.
I’m ok with pumpkin. I mean, I like pumpkin in savory dishes. You will never see me drinking a pumpkin spice latte though. Never. Nothing comes between me and my coffee. Period. However, these Pumpkin Fritters, Pumpkin Gulgula, Pumpkin Donuts change my point of view on sweet pumpkin dishes. The soft texture of these gluten free and Vegan Pumpkin Fritters/Pumpkin Gulgulas/Pumpkin Donuts are going to be your coffe’s best friend this fall.
However, you give me a good-looking pumpkin, I will make an awesome tasting savory dish for you. I may soon come up with a savory pumpkin dish. So stay tuned.
Let me tell you how this idea to make Pumpkin Fritters, Pumpkin Gulgula, Pumpkin Donuts came to me. I grew up in a coastal area and there were a lot of palm trees all around. Around this time of the year, everyone used to make some kind of sweet dishes out of the palm fruits – crepes or gulgulas. The Palm fruit pulp was mixed up with home-made rice flour and then deep-fried. Those were delicious. Perfect with your coffee or hot tea.
Ask me what’s Gulgula? Gulgula is nothing but another Indian regional name given to mini donuts.
These Pumpkin Fritters, Pumpkin Gulgula, Pumpkin Donuts are gluten-free and completely Vegan. So go ahead and enjoy your Fall weekends with these beauties and a hot cup of coffee.
- 2 Cups Rice Flour (you can use regular Flour as well)
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree (I used the ready made puree)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar or as per your taste
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1 TBSP Soda
- 1/2 cup water
- Enough oil to deep fry the fritters
- Powdered Sugar to dust
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except for oil and powdered sugar
- Add about ¼ to 1/2 cup water and mix well.
- Set aside the mixture for half an hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Slowly drop a spoonful of batter at a time over medium heat. Fry until they turn golden brown from all sides.
- Remove the fritters/gulgulas/donuts and place over a paper towel, so the excess oil is absorbed.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top, and serve hot. You can also drizzle some hot chocolate syrup.
PIN for Later: