As the name suggests Penicillin which is supposed to cure a cold and the flu, right? Well, this Penicillin, Honey Ginger Whiskey Cocktail may not really substitute your flu medicines but it certainly has ingredients that soothe the cold and flu symptoms. This Penicillin, Honey Ginger Whiskey Cocktail got – honey and ginger in it. 😀
If you grew up with your mom forcing that honey ginger syrup into your throat on the onset of a cold, then as a grown up you might just love this cocktail. My husband for sure does. If you are a scotch lover like him, you might enjoy Smokey Sazerac which is also a potent whiskey drink.
So, why it’s really called a Penicillin? Originally created and named by an NYC bartender, this cocktail is perfect for fall evenings.
You can make a home made a ginger-honey syrup to use in this cocktail or alternatively, just muddle a few thinly sliced ginger with honey before adding the whiskey or scotch.
- 4-ounce whiskey or scotch
- 1-ounce ginger syrup
- 1 ounce Honey
- Ginger slices for garnishing
- 1-ounce orange juice (you can use lemon or lime juice as well)
- Make Ginger Syrup by peeling the ginger it and slicing it into little pieces. Then, add 1 cup of sugar + 1/2 cup water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow to simmer. Add your ginger… muddling it in the syrup as you cook. (Cook for about five minutes.)
- Strain out the ginger and allow to cool.
- In a Cocktail, shaker add the orange juice, ginger syrup, honey and whiskey
- Add some ice cubes in a whiskey glass and pour the cocktail over the ice
- Garnish with some candied ginger
PIN for Later: