Brittle is usually made with peanuts, but, I went for pistachios instead. I prefer pistachios to peanuts any day but the best part about brittle is that, you can use any kind of nuts you prefer – almond, walnuts, peanuts. You can even mix up nuts with coconut flakes. I find brittle quite versatile. You can crunch them up and use as toppings on your ice creams or any other desserts or puddings: such as the super delicious Rose Pistachio Phirni , a simply made Almond Kheer or even on your Hot Chocolates, or your delicious coffee as in an Affogato or just enjoy these brittle as is or wrap them up and give a friend as a thank you gift.
They are easy to make too. I made these Pistachio Brittle without corn syrup, I really didn’t see the need to add corn syrup which make these Pistachio Brittles a tad healthy.
- 1.5 cups pistachio nuts (use peanuts, almonds, macadamia, walnuts if you want)
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a saucepan over medium/medium-high heat combine sugar, water and salt.
- When the mixture comes to a gentle boil and the sugar is dissolved, set a timer for ten minutes.
- Stirring occasionally, watch for the color to change. As soon as the color is a light, golden amber – get it off the heat!
- Quickly, and stirring continuously, add butter and baking soda. The mixture will foam. Continue stirring until the foaming subsides and the mixture starts to get glossy.
- Stir in the pistachios all at once and quickly turn out onto a silicon baking mat or very well greased baking sheet.
- Flatten the mixture as needed and allow to cool for about 20 minutes, until brittle.
PIN for Later