This Instant Chili Pickle recipe is all you need to make the best use of your extra chilies. This pickle is bursting with flavors and done in no time at all. Imagine this – you have something that you spent no time in making yet it lasts for weeks? Score, right?
I love my pickles and chutneys HOT and SPICY…, and I have no qualms about it. Be it the Tomato Chutney that’s a staple in my home or be it the burnt Garlic Chutney, that I can slather on the Lentil Patties or mix a spoon of it in my Dals to elevate the taste to an unimaginable level.
But my friends, I may be an expert on turning fruits and veggies into finger licking good chutneys, but I considered myself a novice when it came to making pickles. Ugh. For me, Indian pickle sounded like something that moms, grand moms, aunts labored throughout the summer to make. And that involved so many steps – starting from picking the fruits like berries, mangoes, washing them, making the achaar or pickle masala by putting together the ingredients and then dry roasting them. And finally making the pickles getting ready by sun drying them for days till they absorb all the flavors from the pickle masala.
But not this Instant Chili Pickle. This one was done in less than 10 minutes. I had an unimaginable amount of fresh chilies picked from the farmers market and I really really didn’t want to see them get wasted.., so I thought of making me some spicy Instant Chili Pickle.
This vegan, gluten free, no sugar, instantly made Indian Chili Pickle is that condiment which can add layers of flavors to an otherwise boring lunch/dinner or breakfast. You have lots of green chilies and you are running out of ideas to save them…., try making this Instant Chili Pickle. Solves the problem right away.
- Extra hot green/red/yellow fresh chili- 500 gms or about 2 and 1/2 cups (you can use any variety, but make sure they are hot)
- Mustard Oil – 7/8 TBSP
- Vinegar – 4 TBSP
- Fennel seeds- 6 tsp
- Black mustard seeds- 6 tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Fenugreek seeds- 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1 TSP
- Lemon Juic
- Wash the fresh chilies well. Dab them dry with a towel and then slit them lengthwise. Be careful while handling chilies. Use gloves.
- Roast the whole spices in low flame for 2 minutes. 2 minutes is enough.
- Coarsely grind them
- Mix the spices, vinegar, turmeric, salt, hing powder, lemon juice and mustard oil to the chilies. Mix well and store in a glass jar.
- The Instant Chili Pickle is ready. This pickle tastes awesome after 2 days.
PIN for Later: