This fragrant and delicious cinnamon swirl coffee cake is your perfect snack cake for tea and coffee. The cinnamon-sugar crumb on top along with the cinnamon sugar swirl makes this cake a perfect crumb cake. Serve this cake while it’s still warm from the oven, at room temperature, or even cold and this also makes a perfect travel cake.
I have baked this numerous times. Usually bake this cake for freinds to take on their road trip. This is such a great travel cake. This cinnamon swirl coffee cake is a very simple cake recipe packed with cinnamon flavors. Perfect for breakfast, coffee break or dessert, cake 4 times in last two weeks. Like me, it soon going to be your favorite cake too!! 🙂
Having said that, this recipe is a keeper.
Ingredients used in Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- All Purpose Flour
How to create cinnamon swirls
Prepare plain cake batter (without the cinnamon!).
Scoop out about 1/3 of the cake batter in a separate bowl + add cinnamon.
Add half of the plain cake batter to the prepared loaf pan, top with the layer of cinnamon cake batter, making sure it covers the surface, then finish up with the plain cake batter.
Make some gentle swirls in the batter, going through it with a knife just once
Frequently asked questions
Why is my cinnamon swirl coffee cake dry?
The reason could be that you overbaked your cake. I would recommend to bake to the minimum cooking time and check if its done by inserting a toothpick. for doneness.
Why does my cinnamon swirl coffee cake fall apart when I cut it?
If you improperly mix or undermix the batter, that will cause the coffee cake to be crumbly. So, carefully mix the batter so that, the ingredients evenly distribute. But be careful not to overmix, which can cause the cake to be hard.
What should I serve with cinnamon swirl coffee cake?
This cake tastes great with a hot cup of coffee or tea. This is such a great cake to enjoy as a snack too.
How do I store cinnamon swirl coffee cake?
You can store this cinnamon coffee cake at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
Tips & Tricks
- Do not over mix: Mix your ingredients until the flour is just combined.
- For the perfect cinnamon swirl, swirl with a butter knife. Don’t over swirl it.
- To tell if the cake is done insert a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, it is done.
- It’s also important to measure the flour correctly. Before measuring, stir the flour with a spoon or whisk. Spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup until heaping; level with the flat side of a knife.
- Frequently scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl with a plastic spatula will ensure that all ingredients are combined.
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- Whisk, Bowl, Baking Pan
- For Cinnamon Sugar
- 1/4 cup (55g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- For Coffee Cake
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) light olive oil
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 table spoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Butter your loaf pan and line with parchment paper
- In a small bowl stir the brown sugar with the ground cinnamon. Keep it aside
- In a bowl whisk or sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and keep aside
- Beat the oil and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture (in three additions) alternately with the milk (in two additions), starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined.
- Spoon about half (450 grams) of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Then sprinkle on the batter about half (30 grams) of the cinnamon sugar topping
- Cover with the remaining batter and then sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar topping.
- Take a wooden skewer or knife and swirl the batter. Bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.