This moist and delicious microwave chocolate mug cake recipe is the perfect for those late night chocolate cravings. Stir in a handful of chocolate chips and you’ve got yourself the easiest and the moistest egg free chocolate dessert in less than 2 minutes!!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a mug cake?
Well, mug cake is a cake in a mug. Simple. 🙂 Mug cakes must be in now because every grocery stove the ready-made mug cakes on their shelves. There are various flavors about there too. Speaking of flavors, I really wanted to try this chocolate mug cake recipe with almond flour. Since I have ran out of almond flour, I made do with all purpose flour and boy! am I glad that I did 😀 One serving best chocolate cake ever. 🙂 But yes, a keto chocolate mug cake coming up soon too.
Why egg free chocolate mug cake?
Lot of people get quizzical when they hear about egg free cakes but hey, trust me when I say this, there are bunch of egg substitutes out there that can make your cakes spongy and airy. So, if you are allergic to eggs, this egg free chocolate mug cake is for you. Also, since this is an one serving mug cake, it doesn’t need any eggs considering we use one or two eggs in a regular full-sized cake.
So, no eggs 🙂
Can this mug cake be made in the oven?
Since this is an one serving mug cake developed to be made using the microwave, the oven can’t be use for this mug cake.
Why my mug cake turned out to be dry?
To avoid having dry mug cakes, add a tablespoon of water on top. A little water will prevent the top of your cake from over-baking and drying out (and becoming rubbery). Don’t worry—it all evaporates in the microwave and ensures a perfect, moist texture every time. This tip I got from Food Hacks
Why is my microwave mug cake hard?
Excessive overmixing of dry ingredients with wet ingredients. After adding the dry ingredients, just avoid too much mixing, especially when you have added the flour. It can result in activated gluten because when you beat the flour too much with a certain speed, the gluten gets activated, which forms a dry and hard cake.
Why you will love this microwave chocolate mug cake?
- Easy Ingredients: This Microwave Moist Chocolate Mug Cake is the simplest chocolate dessert ever. Like my husband says, dangerously simple. All your late night cravings can be taken care of by this incredibly moist and delectable Mug Cake.
- Portion Controlled: The best single serving Microwave Moist Chocolate Mug Cake ever!
- Takes 1 minute to make: Prepped in a minute and done in a minute. In total, takes two minutes to make this mug cake.
Ingredients to make chocolate mug cake
- All-purpose flour – I have used all purpose flour here to make my cake spongy.
- White sugar
- Baking powder
- Light Oil – Vegetable/Olive
- Milk – any kind will work.
- Vanilla essence
- Chocolate chips
Steps to make Chocolate Mug Cake in Microwave
- Add all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt in a microwave safe mug. No need to shift the dry ingredients. Whisk well so that there are no lumps.
- Stir in milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 70-90 seconds.
Additional add-in ideas:
- Small scoop of Nutella
- Small scoop of nut butter
Important Tips & Tricks to make the moistest chocolate mug cake
- You don’t have to limit yourself to making this cake in a mug. You can use other microwave proof containers as well.
- Use self-rising flour.
- Don’t over fill the mug.
- Microwaving for too little time is better than too much.
- Enjoy immediately!
- Add a topping for better flavor.
Here are some other chocolate recipes
Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake
- Microwave safe mug
- 1/4 Cup (4 tbsp) All-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 TSP Baking powder
- 3 TBSP Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 TBSP Vegetable oil
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- In a microwave safe mug, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Whisk in the milk and vegetable oil until all ingredients are combined and batter is smooth. Pour batter into a microwave-safe mug. Add chocolate chips in the middle of the batter
- Microwave mug cake for 70 seconds on high (NOTE – Please note that ALL microwaves are different therefore can yield different results and can overcook this mug cake if you aren’t careful)
- Carefully remove from microwave and enjoy the cake warm!