This delicious orange loaf cake is egg free and butter free. Want a piece of cake to enjoy with your coffee, tea or for snacking? This recipe will give you a no-fail moist, tender and fragrant, Orange Loaf Cake to satisfy your cravings.
I admit – I am getting a little tired of this staying home business. I miss going out and doing my thing. I have a Sunday ritual. Every Sunday, I go out and spend hours strolling with coffee. I buy fresh flowers and some fresh veggies and come home after a few hours totally rejuvenated. A few hours of me-time does wonders for my well being. I miss that. So, how I am keeping sane in these crazy days…? Though baking and binge watching Netflix of course!! From baking, been baking this orange loaf cake almost every alternative week. This orange cake recipe has no butter and no eggs in it, making it a low fat version of your regular cake thus, such a convenient and delish snack cake to enjoy with your coffee or tea.
When you have an egg-free and butter-free cake. what else you do need, yeah?
More ideas on butter-free, egg-free bakes?
The fabulous feedback received on this orange cake made me to sit down and write up the recipe. In this Orange Cake recipe, I have shared not only the steps but also the tricks and tips to make you successfully bake this cake and enjoy it as a snack.
The aroma and the spongy texture of this Orange Loaf Cake will make you bake this cake over and over again. It tastes great with tea/coffee or you can enjoy this cake as is light and guilt-free snack.
Why you will love this Egg free Orange Loaf Cake recipe?
- This cake is egg-free and butter-free. If you have egg allergies or high cholesterol and you are watching the fat intake in your diet, this cake is right for you.
- Simple and easy orange cake recipe. Requires simple pantry ingredients and some orange juice.
- If you don’t have fresh oranges handy, you can always use orange juice.
- You can swap Orange juice for lemon juice to make it a Lemon loaf Cake.
- This cake can be made vegan if you want to swap with some non-diary milk
- A Simple Cake That Tastes Special. This cake is sweet and aromatic. It’s such a special cake that it doesn’t need to be dressed up much.
- Leftovers only get more moist and tender, which means you should definitely save a few slices for breakfast.
Ingredients used in egg free, butter free Orange Loaf Cake
- Yogurt: For me, yogurt is a magical ingredient to use in baking. Use full-fat yogurt which will make your cake moist and flavorful. To make this recipe Vegan, use a non-diary yogurt
- Olive oil: Using olive oil cuts down on “bad” cholesterol and saturated fat in your cake. The extra antioxidants and vitamin E in olive oil gives your cake a heart-healthy boost. I have used a light olive oil here. You can replace olive oil with vegetable oil.
- All Purpose Flour: I have used APF for this cake. Any other flours like GF flour or almond flour may make a great substitute but I have yet to try that yet. An Almond Flour orange loaf cake is on my list.
- Granulated Sugar
- Orange juice: I have used store bought orange juice.
- Orange zest
- Baking soda, Baking powder & Salt
Step-by-step instructions on making Egg Free Orange Cake
Prep. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Prepare your loaf pan by spraying with baking spray and lining with a piece of parchment paper.
Mix wet ingredients. In a bowl add yogurt, oil, orange juice, and vanilla and beat on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Mix in dry ingredients. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest and salt to a bowl and whisk until combined.
Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the orange loaf cake comes out clean.
Tips, Tricks & Alternations
Since you will be using oil instead of butter, it’s really important to beat sugar, oil and yogurt really well for a light and fluffy crumb. This is the only step that adds air into the cake, so whisk together these ingredients until pale and fluffy.
To make the cake a dairy-free orange cake recipe, use diary free yogurt.
You can use butter milk (mix 1 tbsp. vinegar with 1 cup milk) in place of yogurt for great results.
Fresh orange juice is ideal for this cake. However, in absence of fresh oranges, use orange juice.
I find it easier to zest the oranges before juicing them.
Prepare your cake tin by greasing and lining with a parchment paper. I have used a loaf pan here to make a orange loaf cake, but you can go for a round cake tin or even a Bundt pan.
Be careful not to overbake it. Use a toothpick to test if the cake is baked.
Cool completely before cutting the cake. The orange flavor becomes stronger over time, giving you a juicy punch in every bite.
Orange loaf Cake | Egg Free and Butter Free
- Loaf Cake Pan
- 1 Cup Sugar 200g
- 1 TBSP. Orange zest
- 1/2 TSP. Baking Soda
- 2 TSP Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice 115g
- 3/4 Cup Light Olive Oil 160g
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt (Greek or strained) 140g
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Oil and prepare a loaf pan or a round pan and keep aside
- In a big bowl, mix oil, sugar, yogurt, orange juice till light and fluffy
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and orange zest to the wet mixture
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients well. DO NOT OVERMIX
- Pour the orange cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30/35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean while inserted. The top of the orange loaf cake should be a beautiful brown color. Let it cool and enjoy with tea/coffee
You don’t have an oven? No worries. You can totally bake this beautiful cake in a pressure cooker. Pressure Cooker Method –
- prepare the batter as above
- Take a pressure cooker and add a layer of sand/salt all over the base.
- close the lid of the cooker without keeping the gasket and whistle.
- heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the cake pan carefully over the sand.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Do not put on the whistle(very important).
- Cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Cook on low flame for 40/45 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Check whether the cake is done with the help of a toothpick.
PIN for Later