You love coconut? If yes, this easy coconut loaf cake recipe is for you. Supremely moist, fluffy and tender with a flaky crumb this diary free coconut loaf cake will steal your heart!!
Been thinking about baking a coconut cake for long. A slice of soft, light and fluffy coconut cake is something that was on my mind consistently for a long time. Can you blame me? I love anything and everything coconut. Cant’ wait for summer so that I can make those Creamy Coconut popsicles!! As they say, my forte is tea cakes and simple snack cakes and honestly, cakes don’t have to be lathered with icing or decorated with sprinkles and flowers to steal your heart. Something simple and comforting like a tea cake or a crumbly snack cake is all you need. This dairy free easy coconut loaf cake is going to be a your favorite snack cake, trust me!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS COCONUT CAKE?
You need just one bowl to make this coconut loaf cake. A simple and delicious quick bread that comes together in minutes
This coconut loaf cake is dairy free.
If you love coconut, you will love this tropical flavored cake.
Great choice for breakfast and dessert!
Extremely moist and with a subtle coconut flavor in every bite.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR COCONUT LOAF CAKE
All Purpose Flour – I have used regular all purpose flour in this recipe.
Eggs – I have used two eggs. Make sure your eggs are room temperature. Eggs give this cake a cakey texture.
Oil– I have used vegetable oil in this coconut loaf cake recipe. You can use coconut oil in place of vegetable oil.
Non- diary Yogurt – As you have known already that, I use yogurt or butter milk in almost all my cakes. Yogurt imparts a moist, fluffy texture to the cakes. To make this recipe, diary free, I have used coconut yogurt. Easily available in all grocery stores. You can use any non-diary yogurt like almond or oat.
Sweetened coconut – I’m using shredded sweetened coconut here. If you don’t have sweetened coconut, then use desiccated coconut.
Coconut milk – To enhance the taste of my diary free easy coconut cake, I have used a low fat coconut milk. I particularly like this milk brand. (NOTE: not a sponsored post)
Granulated Sugar – I have used regular white sugar
Baking Powder, Salt and Vanilla essence
HOW TO MAKE DIARY FREE COCONUT LOAF CAKE
- In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar till light and fluffy. (the pic below says oil and sugar but, its actually egg and sugar)
2. Add oil and beat more. The mixture will come together and the color will become paler. I have used an electric beater to beat. You can use a hand whisk.
3. Add the yogurt and mix it well.
4. Add in the coconut milk and give it a good whisk.
5. Finally add the dry ingredients and sweetened shredded coconut. Gently mix the dry with the wet. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Pour the coconut cake batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at a 350 degree F pre-heated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Whilst the cake is still HOT, brush some coconut milk on top. The liquid will be quickly absorbed by the cake.
TIPS & TRICKS TO MAKE THE BEST COCONUT LOAF CAKE
To avoid a dry coconut cake make sure, your shredded coconut is NOT dry. Using fresh coconut or sweetened coconut will result in a moist coconut cake.
Don’t overmix your batter. For spongy and airy cakes, the batter needs to be gently mixed. When you add your dry ingredients into your wet mixture, gently fold it in until the batter is combined. Over mixing the ingredients can lead to a dense, gummy cake.
Use room temperature ingredients. This has to be the second most important tip. Starting from eggs, yogurt, and milk – everything needs to be room temperature in making a cake moist and flaky.
Cool the cake completely. This is a very moist and tender coconut cake. If you try to take the cake out of the loaf pan before its completely cool, the cake may break and fall off. We don’t want that.
This can be made with regular milk – You don’t have to make this coconut loaf cake diary-free. You can always use regular milk and regular Greek yogurt in place of coconut milk and coconut yogurt respectively.
Coconut milk topping is optional but trust me, this is a game changer. However, brush the coconut milk on the cake while the cake is hot. Brush coconut milk all over the surface of the cake. The liquid will be quickly absorbed by the cake. Then immediately sprinkle the coconut all over so it sticks.
More Tea Cakes –
Coconut Loaf Cake (Dairy-Free)
- 1 & 3/4 Cup Plain / All purpose flour (sieved) 225 g
- 1 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut 100g
- 2 Tsp. Baking powder 10g
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup White granulated sugar 225g
- 2 Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract 5ml
- 3/4 Cup Coconut milk 180g
- 1/4 Cup Non-Diary yogurt
- Lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree F
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar till the mixture is light and fluffy
- Add the oil and whisk well. Pour the yogurt and coconut milk into the egg mixture and give it a good mix.
- Once everything is well combined, sift together flour, baking powder and dump in the desiccated coconut.
- Fold using a spatula and make sure you do not over mix at this stage.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake it at 350 degree F for 45-50 mins or until the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the coconut loaf cake is hot, brush some coconut milk on the surface of the cake and sprinkle some coconut flakes. Let the cake cool completely before you slice it and enjoy!