This fiery tomato chutney recipe is not for the faint hearted!! This recipe is HOT. Made with just handful of ingredients, yet can be used as a condiment for so many dishes, this tomato chutney made with garlic and fresh chilies will be your favorite dip if you love everything a tad spicy!!
I have been making this Tomato Chutney for years now. And I have always kept it simple without trying to modify the original recipe even a bit. Made with just 4 Ingredients – Tomato, chilies, garlic and peanuts, It’s tangy and extremely spicy (but then spiciness is relative, right?)
But If you would ask me, I make it really really spicy. If you prefer your chutney a little less spicy and a little sweeter, then try this Sweet and Sour Tamarind Chutney!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS TOMATO CHUTNEY
Its SPICY! If you love a kick, this chutney is for you.
Just FOUR MAIN INGREDIENTS.
NO SEASOING needed.
This Tomato Chili Garlic Chutney is not for faint hearted. The taste is very addictive.., you can feel your tongue burning yet you can’t stop reaching for it. It’s tangy and spicy and is the perfect accompaniment to anything actually.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE TOMATO CHUTNEY
- TOMATOES: I have used good organic tomatoes in this recipe. If the tomatoes are fresh and tart, the chutney will turn out to be exceptional.
- THAI RED CHILIES: Chilies play a very important role in this chutney recipe. I have used fresh Thai chilies. You can find Thai chilies easily in any grocery stores. In absence of Thai chilies, bird eye chilies or any other hot variety of chilies will work perfectly. I wouldn’t recommend using habaneros though.
- GARLIC: Again, fresh garlic is used. There is no substitute to the fresh garlic in this recipe.
- PEANUTS: I have used some unsalted roasted peanuts to add the texture. You can skip peanuts if you have nuts allergy. Use some channa dal instead.
- SALT, TURMERIC
- OLIVE OIL
- FRESH CILANTRO/CORIANDER
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
FIRST: Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan
SECOND: Add chopped tomatoes, peanuts, chilies, garlic, salt and turmeric
THIRD: Cook on high heat for a minute. Then lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes
FOURTH: After 30 minutes, uncover the pan and turn up the heat so that the water from the tomato-chili-garlic is evaporated somewhat. Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
FIFTH: Add the cooked tomato chili garlic to the blender with a bit of chopped cilantro and blend till smooth. Pour into a container and store in the refrigerator for about a week.
PRO TIPS ON MAKING THE SPICY CHUTNEY
Use everything fresh. Fresh tomatoes and fresh chilies add really an amazing taste to this Indian chutney recipe.
The use of garlic in this tomato chutney recipe, highlight the taste of tomatoes even more. So don’t hesitate on using the garlic.
If you are allergic to peanuts, you can use some chana dal instead.
Even though I have added quite a few chilies, you can reduce the amount of chilies per your taste. However, I need to point out here is that, this is designed to be spicy!.
I don’t use a typical seasoning for this recipe that’s usual for almost all the Indian chutneys. Feel free to season yours with the same seasoning as the Peanut Chutney
Use the green or red Thai chili peppers. They add a kick that you are aiming for.
Use fresh organic tomatoes. The tart vine rip ones work best for this recipe.
If your tomatoes aren’t tart enough, you can squeeze some lemon juice after the chutney is done.
- Use as a marinade. I have used this chutney for marinating sea food and fish. Just a little goes a long way.
- Use as a dip.
- Use as a spread. Sometimes I slather a bit of tomato chutney on my bread before adding the patties. It tastes great.
- Make spicy tomato rice using some of this chutney.
- Use as a condiment to Indian breakfast like dosa, idli, Upma
- Use as a condiment for fried snacks like Beetroot Tikkis or Samosas.
- Or enjoy this tomato chili garlic chutney with some steaming hot ven pongal.
- You can also top this chutney on your favorite Stir Fried Baby Potatoes or on some Fish Cutlets.
Tomato Chutney Recipe (4 Ingredients)
- 5 medium Red tomatoes
- 8 to 10 Red chili peppers (the spicy kind)
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts (US cup size)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp Turmeric powder
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, chili peppers, salt, and turmeric, peanuts. Cook uncovered on high heat until the tomatoes soften a bit.., for a minute
- Then lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook the tomatoes covered in low to medium heat for about 30 minutes until it resembles a soft mushy mixture.
- After 30 minutes, uncover the pan and cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Add the cooled-down cooked tomatoes into a blender and blend into a smooth chutney. DO NOT ADD ANY WATER.
- Store the chutney in a jar for more than a week in the refriderator.