Infused with fennel seeds and a hint of cardamom powder, these EASY Banana Malpua Muffins are the best-tasting banana muffins I ever baked. These egg-free banana muffins recipe with fennel seeds is a divine twist on your regular banana nut muffins! Nothing like eating a muffin that tastes like Malpua, right?!
Fenneliciously Good! Indulge in these Banana Muffins with a Twist of Fennel! Oh these are so quick to make and are eggless too!!
Doesn’t matter how much you love bananas, there are always one or two overly ripe ones left at the end. And no, I’m not complaining. Those unwanted ripe and weird-looking ones make into AMAZINGLY EASY banana MUFFINS! I have put together this Easy Banana Muffin recipe inspired by a childhood Indian Dessert called Banana Malpua.
One bowl, no eggs, pantry staple ingredients, super quick to mix up, this Easy Banana Malpua Muffins Recipe with Fennel Seeds is the BEST recipe I ever tried.
LETS TALK FENNEL SEEDS
These dried seeds are used as a spice to provide an aniseed flavor and a warm, sweet aroma.
Fennel seeds are the dried seed of the fennel herb and look like cumin seeds, only greener. They have an aniseed flavor and a warm, sweet aroma. Fennel seeds are used in a lot of Indian and Chinese cooking as their spice mixes such as Chinese five-spice powder and Indian panch phoran.
You’ll get more flavor out of fennel seeds by grinding or toasting them.
HOW TO CRUSH FENNEL SEEDS
You can crush the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar, or, put them in a sealed food bag and bash them with a rolling pin, or whizz them to a powder in a clean coffee grinder.
HOW TO TOAST FENNEL SEEDS
Heat a dry frying pan over medium heat and toast the seeds for a couple of minutes, tossing the pan frequently so they don’t burn.
WHAT INSPIRED ME TO COME UP WITH THIS FENNEL SEEDS BANANA MUFFINS RECIPE
Fennel Seeds in these Banana Muffins make them taste like Banana Malpua! Every bite takes me to those days back home when my mom would mash up bananas, add a bit of sugar or jaggery, a spoonful of fennel seeds, and some whole wheat flour to the mashed bananas, and then deep fry a scoopful of batter into that aromatic malpuas or whole wheat banana fritters.
The inspiration comes from banana malpuas – down the memory lane as they say!
What sets these muffins apart is their incredible resemblance to the traditional Indian Malpua. The combination of fennel and banana creates a harmonious blend of flavors that will transport you to the streets of India. The muffins are moist, fluffy, and bursting with the essence of ripe bananas, while the fennel seeds add a subtle, yet distinct, aromatic note that elevates the taste to a whole new level.
Whether you’re a fan of Indian desserts or simply looking for a unique twist on banana muffins, these eggless delights will surely win your heart. Indulge in the flavors of Malpua with every bite and experience the joy of a fusion dessert that combines the best of both worlds.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE EGG FREE BANANA MUFFINS
You will fall in love with this eggless banana muffins recipe infused with a delightful hint of fennel! These muffins are a unique twist on the classic banana flavor, taking inspiration from my beloved Indian dessert, Malpua. With every bite, you’ll experience the perfect balance of sweetness from the ripe bananas and the aromatic touch of fennel seeds.
- Perfect for breakfast or a snack during the day.
- Made with ghee, these muffins scream for nutrition
- If you have an egg allergy or you are vegetarian, these chai-spiced banana muffins are best for you and the taste and texture are so good even though they are egg-free.
- So easy to make and you need just one bowl.
- Wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them. They keep well, enjoy the treat whenever you’re craving for.
- The perfect natural sweetness from ripe bananas.
- The fennel seeds add such a beautiful taste to these muffins. They almost taste like banana malpuas.
- These muffins have a lovely fennel flavor and add a touch of nostalgia to your breakfast routine.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE ONE BOWL OF BANANA MALPUA MUFFINS
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below
- All-purpose flour
- Bananas mashed – Use bananas that are very ripe (black skins and soft bananas are best) for best flavor.
- Baking soda, Baking Powder & Salt
- Fennel seeds
- Cardamom Powder
- Milk mixed with Vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE BANANA MUFFINS WITH FENNEL SEEDS
STEP 1 – Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F
STEP 2 – In a small bowl, add white vinegar with milk. Let the mixture rest. That’s your homemade buttermilk.
STEP 3 – In a bowl, mash the banana well.
STEP 4 – To the same bowl, add ghee, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix well
STEP 5 – Add buttermilk and flour, salt, and baking soda. Make sure not to over-mix. Fold in the fennel seeds.
STEP 6 – Scoop the batter into muffin tins. Sprinkle with almonds
STEP 7 – Bake for 20/25 minutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make it vegan?
Yes, substitute non-dairy milk such as almond or coconut or oat milk.
What other variations can I try with this recipe?
Along with the fennel seeds, you can try a tea spoon of ginger and cloves to make this recipe into a chai spiced banana muffin recipe
Can I make this a Banana Cake?
Yes! Definitely. You just need to adjust the baking time.
Can I use whole wheat flour?
Yes! whole wheat flour will bake up nicely.
Can I use Gluten free flour?
Of course, you could use your favorite gluten-free flour blend too
What Can I substitute Ghee with?
You can substitute ghee with the same amount of light olive oil or melted butter
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you like the recipe and happen to make the cookies, give me a shout-out on my Instagram or Facebook Pages. I would love to feature your creations. You can connect with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest to receive all of the latest recipes!
A FEW OTHER EGG FREE RECIPES THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO BAKE –
Banana Muffins with Fennel Seeds
- 1 & 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Dry-toasted and ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/4 cup Ghee or, oil
- Banana 2 Bananas mashed – Use bananas that are very ripe (black skins and soft bananas are best) for best flavor.
- 1/2 cup Milk mixed with 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners
- In a small bowl, add 1 tbsp white vinegar to the milk and set it aside. The milk will curdle making it your homemade buttermilk
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash the bananas
- Add the melted ghee, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well
- Pour the homemade buttermilk into it and give it a stir
MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS INTO THE WET INGREDIENTS
- Now, add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda directly into the bowl.
- Mix in the fennel seeds and cardamom powder.
- Mix the dry into wet. Don't overmix.
BAKE BANANA MUFFINS WITH FENNEL SEEDS
- Scoop the egg-free banana muffin batter into the muffin tins. Make sure not to fill till the top.
- Top with almonds and bake for 25/30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.