These Cardamom Almond Flour Apple Cider Donuts are such a fresh and welcoming treat to enjoy that beautiful fall weather. This gluten-free and keto-friendly apple cider donut recipe is made with reduced apple cider, cardamom, and other warm fall spices. No better way to enjoy fall and autumn weather than with a hot cup of beverage of your choice and a warm cardamom-spiced almond flour donut dusted with some cinnamon sugar. Hello, Fall!!
As the leaves change color and the air turns crisp, there’s nothing quite like the comforting aroma of freshly baked apple cider donut wafting through the kitchen. While any apple cider-baked goodies are a classic fall treat, adding a touch of cardamom takes it to a whole new level. In this recipe, I have given you the delightful combination of cardamom and apple cider through this mouthwatering gluten-free recipe for cardamom almond flour donuts that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
I have been baking more and more with Almond Flour. Not that I have a gluten issue but if I can enjoy a treat made with healthier options then why not?! Almond Flour makes really good donuts – they are flaky, light, and flavorful. Just like these Gluten Free Almond Muffins or Easy Almond Sponge Cake (Gluten Free) Vegan Lemon Pistachio Muffins
These mouthwatering treats combine the warm flavors of cardamom spice, the nuttiness of almond flour, and the comforting essence of apple cider. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress. So, let’s dive in and create these delectable donuts that will leave your taste buds craving for more!
With their aromatic cardamom spice, nutty almond flour, and the subtle sweetness of apple cider, these Cardamom Almond Flour Apple Cider Donut are a true delight for the senses. They are not only gluten-free but also packed with flavor and wholesome ingredients. So, why not treat yourself and your loved ones to these scrumptious donuts?
THE MAGIC OF CARDAMOM
Cardamom, often referred to as the “Queen of Spices,” is a versatile and aromatic spice that adds a unique depth of flavor to any dish. Its warm, slightly sweet, and citrusy notes perfectly complement the earthy sweetness of pumpkin. Cardamom is also known for its numerous health benefits, including aiding digestion, boosting metabolism, and promoting overall well-being.
Let’s dive into the recipe for Cardamom Spiced Almond Flour Apple Cider Donut recipe, which will make your kitchen smell like a cozy autumn haven.
My love for Cardamom is endless. I love to bake with cardamom and if you haven’t checked out yet then here are some of the cardamom recipes.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE CARDAMOM ALMOND FLOUR APPLE CIDER DONUTS
- Texture: These homemade apple cider donut are dense and cakey. They burst with warm flavors of cardamom and rolled with cinnamon sugar
- Less Fat: Can you believe it? These fall favorite is made with only 2 table spoons of olive oil making them such a heart friendly and healthier treat
- Gluten-Free and Keto Friendly: These easy fall favorite is made with almond flour making them naturally gluten-free and keto friendly
- Warm Spices: The combination of freshly ground cardamom and cinnamon add that warm depth to these donuts. Each bite will make you fall in love with everything about fall – the apple spice, the warm donuts
- Baked, not Fried: Does it need more elaboration?
- One bowl recipe: Seriously! All you need is just one bowl to mix all your dry and wet ingredients. then divide the batter into donut pan and bake yourself into some delicious apple cider donuts
- No mixer needed: No fancy stand mixer or even hand mixer needed.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE KETO-FRIENDLY APPLE CIDER DONUTS
Nothing more satisfying than enjoying a homemade apple cider donut with your coffee or tea. The best part is, that this is such a guilt-free treat as these gluten-free cardamom donuts are Baked, not fried. Mix everything in one bowl and bake! One bowl recipes that require no mixer are awesome!
The recipe card at the bottom of this post contains a complete list of ingredients, quantities, and instructions.
- Apple cider (see instructions below) – The trick for that authentic apple flavor is to use reduced apple cider. See instructions below to make the reduced apple cider.
- Light Olive Oil
- Granulated sugar
- Egg – If you don’t want to use an egg, see the noete section for egg replacement
- Greek yogurt
- Almond Flour – As a substitute, you can use gluten-free flour as well
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Pinch salt
KEY TIPS TO MAKE NO-FAIL APPLE CIDER DONUTS
STEP 1 -Make concentrated Apple Cider
This is probably the most important tip I can give you to achieve that authentic fall apple cider donut taste.
- Pour 1 cup apple cider into a small saucepan. Place on low heat and let the cider simmer. Keep checking in every 5 minutes or so and keep stirring until you have 1/2 cup of cider reduction (approximately 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before using in the batter.
STEP 2 – Importance of Fresh Ingredients
- Choosing the fresh ingredients is key. Freshly ground cardamom has lot more flavor than store bought cardamom powder
- Make sure to check the expiry dates of dry ingredients – baking soda, baking powder and all purpose flour
STEP 3 – Pre-heat oven and grease your donut tin
- Pre-heating your oven and greasing the donut tin are important to get the best results
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THESE GLUTEN-FREE FALL FAVORITE
Cardamom spice gluten-free donut recipe is a healthier twist on a classic fall treat. The aromatic blend of cardamom and apple cider creates a symphony of flavors that will transport you to a cozy autumn wonderland. Whether you’re baking it for yourself or sharing it with loved ones, this recipe is sure to become a seasonal favorite.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F
Grease your donut tray
Make Reduced Apple Cider:
Stirring occasionally, simmer the apple cider in a small saucepan over low heat until you’re left with about 1/2 cup. Start checking at 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, etc until you have 1/2 cup (120ml). Mine takes about 20 minutes. If there are any spices or solids on top of your reduced apple cider, leave them. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Whisk Dry Ingredients:
Whisk the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder
Mix in cardamom Powder
Add the nutmeg
Mix together in a large bowl. Set aside
Add Wet Ingredients to the Dry Ingredients:
Whisk in the egg, sugar, sour cream, and oil into the dry ingredients bowl. Add the reduced apple cider, and whisk everything together until smooth and combined. The batter will be slightly thick
Divide the Cardamom Apple Cider Donut batter into the Donut tray
Spoon the batter into the donut tray. Make sure that the tray is greased. If you will be using a donut pan, then, cut a corner off the bottom of a zip-lock bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling about halfway.
Bake the GLUTEN-FREE Apple Cider Donuts
Roll the Donuts in Cinnamon Sugar:
Combine the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and apple pie spice together in a medium bowl. Once cool enough to handle, dunk both sides of each donut in the melted butter, then generously in the apple spice topping.
HOW TO SERVE GLUTEN-FREE BAKED DONUTS
Enjoy a cardamom spiced apple cider donut on its own, or elevate it further with a dollop of whipped cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce. Pair it with a warm cup of chai tea or a pumpkin spice latte for the ultimate fall indulgence.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST ALMOND FLOUR DONUTS
Here are some tips and tricks to ensure your Cardamom Almond Flour Apple Cider Donuts turn out perfectly:
1. Use fresh and high-quality ingredients: Freshly ground cardamom, high-quality almond flour, and flavorful apple cider will enhance the taste of your donuts.
2. Measure ingredients accurately: Baking is a science, so it’s important to measure your ingredients accurately. Use measuring cups and spoons for dry ingredients and a kitchen scale for precise measurements.
3. Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing can lead to dense and tough donuts. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. A few lumps in the batter are okay.
4. Adjust sweetness to your preference: If you prefer sweeter donuts, you can increase the amount of maple syrup or add a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top before baking.
5. Add texture with mix-ins: Consider adding chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, to the batter for added crunch and flavor. You can also sprinkle some coarse sugar on top for a delightful sugary crust.
6. Allow the almond flour donuts to cool before removing from the tin: Letting the donuts cool in the tin for a few minutes helps them set and prevents them from falling apart when you remove them.
7. Store properly: These gluten free apple cider donuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want to keep them longer, store them in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze them for up to 3 months. Remember, baking is a creative process, so feel free to experiment and make these keto friendly donuts your own. Enjoy the process and savor the delicious results!
Cardamom Almond Flour Apple Cider Donuts
- 2 tbsp Butter (melted) or, olive oil
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar (100g) 100g
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (120ml) – 1/2 cup milk mixed with 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice at room temperature
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cups almond flour or, GF flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
FOR COATING THE DONUTS
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom powder
- 6 tbsp melted butter
Make Reduced Apple Cider
- Simmer the apple cider in a small saucepan over low heat until you’re left with about 1/2 cup. Constantly keep checking until you have 1/2 cup (120ml).
- Set aside to cool
Pre-Heat the Oven
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F (200 degree C)
- Spray a muffin tray or a donut pan with non-stick spray or grease with some melted butter
Whisk the Dry Ingredients
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
Mix the Wet Ingredients
- Whisk the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, and homemade butter milk together.
- Add the cooled-down reduced apple cider and mix
Mix the Dry Ingredients with Wet Ingredients
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix gently. The batter will be smooth, combined and slightly thick.
Let's make apple cider donut muffins
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities. It will be easier if you use a piping bag or a large zipped-top bag. Cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling about halfway.
- If you are using the muffin tray, then spoon the batter into the tray, filling about halfway.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the edges and tops are lightly browned. To test, poke your finger into the top of the donut. If the donut bounces back, they’re done.
COAT THE DONUTS
- Combine the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Once cool enough to handle, dunk both sides of each donut in the melted butter, then generously in the cardamom topping.