Easiest Chocolate Cake recipe ever with an easier chocolate frosting! Dress it up with sprinkles or dress it down with a simple chocolate drip, this is the ultimate chocolate cake that both kids and adults love!
This chocolate cake recipe is so easy and so very simple.
This is one of my favorite easiest chocolate cake recipes. Reason being, I only bake a chocolate cake when my kids want me to because this is the only kind that they devour.
What helps is that, this chocolate cake recipe is simple. If done right, it turns out to be moist, spongy and extremely delectable.
Made with few simple ingredients and glazed with the best chocolate glaze ever, this Easiest Chocolate Cake Recipe is every chocolate lover’s dream cake.
My son celebrated his 10th Birthday yesterday with this Chocolate Cake. His demands were straightforward – he wanted us to wake him up with a piece of brownie with a candle stuck on it, go to a basketball game, have a family dinner and then finish off the day with chocolate cake. We got him all that. We have invited some of his close buddies for a jump house party next weekend. I’m thinking about baking chocolate cupcakes for them!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS EASIEST CHOCOLATE CAKE
Because, its chocolate!!!
It’s rich, moist, chocolaty and super flavorful
It’s super quick and easy to make
It can be your go-to recipe for any event. – birthday chocolate cake/ tea time chocolate cake/special occasion chocolate cake.
The recipe can be used to make chocolate cupcakes.
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE CAKE
- All Purpose Flour: Regular all purpose flour is used.
- Cocoa: Unsweetened cocoa is used
- Sugar: White granulated sugar is used.
- Eggs: 2 room temperature eggs used.
- Hot Coffee: I like to use strong coffee but you can really use any coffee on hand. It amplifies the chocolate flavor. But if you’re not a fan just use water
- Butter Milk: I made my own buttermilk by adding 1 tbsp white vinegar to 1 cup milk. You rest the milk mixed wit vinegar for 5 minutes. The milk will thicken. Buttermilk adds such a moistness to the chocolate cake
- Oil: This cake is ultra-moist due to the vegetable oil.
- Baking powder, baking soda, salt
STEP BY STEP METHOD TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Sift the dry ingredients together: Flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Mix the wet ingredients: eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in hot coffee
- Pour batter into the cake tin
- Let the cake cool completely.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS CAKE
Anyone who wants to bake a cake, needs to know their tools and equipment make their baking a success.
A hand mixer will be handy. But hey, it doesn’t have to be fancy at all. Any basic hand mixer will work. If you don’t have a hand mixer, then use a balloon whisk. However, I have noticed that, any cake that has eggs in the recipe, requires a hand mixer to fluff the egg with sugar and oil.
Last year, my friend gifted me 3 stackable mixing bowls. They have been a life saver. Its stainless steel and deep. My batter doesn’t make a mess anymore . 😛
I have a good selection of cake pans starting from round to rectangular to squares to Bundt. But you don’t have to collect cake pans if you aren’t as crazy as me. I would suggest you stick to the basic cake tins. In this recipe I have used a round cake tin in 9 inch.
A must have for me. Unless I’m baking brownies, I always always line my cake tins with parchment paper.
TIPS & VARIATIONS
Measure your flour correctly! Adding too much flour to the recipe is the most common mistake. The best, and easiest way to measure flour is by using a scale. If you don’t have one then fluff your flour with a spoon, sprinkle it into your measuring cup, and use a knife to level it off.
Allow the cake to cool 15 minutes in pans, then run a butter knife around the edges of each cake. Set the racks down and gently thump on the bottom of the pans until the cakes release. Cool completely before handling or frosting.
This chocolate cake can be made into a two layer cakes. Divide the batter equally between two cake tins and bake.
This easy chocolate cake can be used for a lot of fillings. If you have berry preserves, then use that as a filling. Raspberry and strawberry go so well with chocolate. Even pomegranate.
MORE CHOCOLATE RECIPES
Here are a couple chocolate recipes if you are as crazy for chocolate as my family –
Easiest Chocolate Cake Recipe (Ever)
- 1 9 inch round cake pan
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Flour Sifter
- 2 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs at room temeperature
- 1 Cup Buttermilk or (1 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp white vinegar. Rest for couple minutes)
- 1 Cup Hot black coffee
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1 TBSP Vanilla extract
FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1 Can Evaporated milk
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Corn flour
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan and line with a piece of parchment paper. Set aside
SIFT THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set it aside
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS
- In the large bowl mix buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Add eggs one by one and beat.
- Stir in hot coffee with a rubber spatula. Batter will be very runny.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake on middle rack of oven for about 40/45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- COOL THE CAKE
HOW TO MAKE THE GLAZE
- Combine all ingredients except oil in a large saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick.
- Turn off heat. Add oil and stir. Cool for a bit and drizzle over the cake until cake is fully covered.
1. Use the same amount of GF flour to make a Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe.
2. Use Non-diary milk like – almond/cashew/oat to make a Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe.
3. Use 2/3 cup of unsweetened apple sauce or 1/2 cup fresh greek yogurt to replace 2 eggs used in this recipe. This will make a moist Egg-Free Chocolate Cake.
PIN for LATER