A light, moist, tender and fluffy Gluten Free Almond Flour cake recipe that can be made in just one bowl. Such a healthier cake and a greater companion to your morning coffee or afternoon tea.
There is nothing more exciting than having a recipe that require just one bowl, isn’t it? And yes, This one bowl thing is going to be my selling point for this almond flour sponge cake. And oh yes, if its gluten free, its even better, right? And and, if you want this Almond Cake to be sugar free too, then replace regular sugar with monk fruit sweetener or any other natural sweetener of your choice. I haven’t tried baking this almond cake with honey or maple syrup yet so can’t really say how the texture will be if baked with honey instead of sugar.
Common question on Almond Flour
Is Almond Flour good in Cakes?
Almond flour adds such great texture to the cakes. If you are gluten intolerant or on a diet that doesn’t allow grains, then almond flour baked goods can be a life saver. I’m neither yet I love and enjoy everything that I make with almond flour.
You can make your own almond flour at home but I usually use Bob’s Red Mill brand for cakes and cookies.
Are Almond Flour Cakes Moist?
By design, yes. The almond flour cakes tend to be moist and heavy.
Why you will love this Almond Sponge Cake?
- Easy Ingredients
- Gluten free
- Perfect for a travel cake
Ingredients used in this Gluten Free Cake
- Almond Flour – I used ground almond flour from Bob’s Red Mill
- Eggs – Room temperature eggs
- Sugar – White granulated sugar
- Oil – I have replaced butter with light vegetable oil in this recipe
- Yogurt – I like baking with yogurt. The combination of yogurt and oil adds moistness into the cake
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – Make the cake hold its shape.
- Salt: Just a little to enhance the other flavors.
- Vanilla Essence –Heightens the flavor in leaps and bounds. 🙂
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add oil, vanilla, yogurt.
- Shift almond flour, salt, and baking soda, baking powder
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet
- Sprinkle some toasted almonds on the top
- Bake the cake in an oven preheated to 350°F until a toothpick inserted in its center comes out clean, 22-25 minutes.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert it onto a cooling rack and cool it for 20 more minutes before slicing and serving.
Almond Flour vs. Almond Meal – I have used almond flour in this recipe and that gives you the best result. Don’t go for the grainy almond meal.
Room temperature Eggs – Eggs are important for this recipe. Since this is a GF cake recipe, we need eggs to add that volume. Unless the eggs are temperature, you won’t get the desired result.
Variations – Almond extract / Lemon zest / Orange zest are all great alternatives to vanilla extract.
Pan size – I baked this cake in a 9-inch pan. But 8 inch pans will work better.
If you love anything gluten free then you must check out these recipes as well Gluten Free Almond Muffins or Gluten-free Flax-Oatmeal-Almond Flour Cookies
Easy Almond Sponge Cake (Gluten Free)
- 2 cups Almond flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 Cup Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Cup Sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degree F
Lightly butter and line a 9 inch round cake tin
Mix the Wet Ingredients with Dry
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt, lemon juice, Vanilla essence for couple of minutes
- Add in the almond flour, baking powder, Baking soda and salt
- Without over mixing, fold in the dry into the wet till no flour lumps are there
- Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 35/40 minutes or till a inserted toothpick comes out clean
Looks fluffy and delicious. Neat presentation 👍
Lemon Juice ????