This Eggless Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake with Nutella Frosting will change your views on adding fruits and veggies to your cake. Even if you aren’t a fan, you will be one! I give my word. Made with shredded zucchini and mashed banana, this eggless chocolate zucchini cake is magical – dense, moist, chocolaty and so very addicting!
My first attempt at making a zucchini bread was unsuccessful. The taste was good but the chocolate zucchini bread rose and then fell flat. That discouraged me from baking another bread/cake with zucchini in it. But then, I’m a baker, right? I can’t give up that easily. All these farm fresh zucchini in the supermarkets, made me take another hit at baking a chocolate zucchini cake.
Adding banana to the chocolate zucchini cake was entirely an impromptu decision. Boy! I’m so happy that I did that. The Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake came out to be rich and decedent. The bananas worked as the egg replacer, taking the cake to notch higher by making it a Vegetarian Chocolate Cake!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BANANA CAKE
- The BEST chocolate zucchini cake EVER!
- Super moist and indulgent and slathered with the world’s easiest Nutella frosting.
- You can’t taste the zucchini or the banana.
- The best way to feed your fussy eater’s greens and fruits.
- Super moist and rich
- Easy to make
- AND, it’s an eggless chocolate zucchini banana cake!!!
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
- All Purpose Flour: I used all-purpose flour for this chocolate cake recipe. If you want to try GF flour, you can do so, but I haven’t tried this cake with GF flour yet!
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder: You will need unsweetened Cocoa powder.
- Salt, Baking Soda & Baking Powder
- Espresso Powder: Espresso powder accentuates the chocolate flavor.
- Greek Yogurt: adds such a dense flavor to the cakes. You can substitute yogurt with buttermilk or sour cream. See the NOTES section below to know how to make buttermilk at home.
- Oil: As you know, I don’t bake with butter that much. Most of my cakes are baked with either Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil. Oil adds moisture and makes the cakes moist and tender. Like, this No Fail Chocolate Cake.
- Sugar: I have used brown sugar as I find Brown sugar adds depth and flavor
- Banana: You will need 1 ripe banana to replace eggs in this zucchini banana cake. Bananas are a wonderful substitute for eggs. Like this Moist Banana Bread Recipe.
- Zucchini: You will need 2 medium-sized zucchini for this Eggless Chocolate Zucchini Cake. 2 zucchini will yield about 1 cup of shredded zucchini.
- Nutella: For an extra dose of chocolate flavor. Lather the Nutella on the cake to get that easy Nutella frosting that everyone loves! Nutella makes everything better, no? Like these Eggless Double Chocolate Bundt Cake with Nutella Frosting
HOW TO MAKE AN EGGLESS CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE – STEP BY STEP PROCESS
This is a very easy chocolate cake recipe that comes together in minutes. Since this chocolate zucchini banana cake is eggless and butter less, you will save time that would have needed to beat the eggs and butter. All I did was just whisked the dry ingredients in one bowl, making sure there are no lumps and then mix the wet ingredients in another bowl. Finally, combined the wet and dry ingredients, and fold in the shredded zucchini and mashed banana.
STEP 1: Preparation
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F
- Grease a 9 inch round pan and line with parchment paper.
- Trim ends from zucchini and grate on the coarse side of a box grater.
- Using clean hands, squeeze grated zucchini over a bowl to remove excess moisture. Alternatively, place grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl and press with back of spoon to remove moisture.
- Mash the banana really well
STEP 2: Shift the Dry Ingredients for the Zucchini Cake
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder (if using), and salt together in a large bowl.
STEP 3: Mix the Wet Ingredients
- In another bowl mix oil, brown sugar, yogurt, mashed banana, and zucchini together until combined.
Step 4: Combine the Dry Ingredients with Wet Ingredients
- Pour the wet mixture into dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until completely combined.
Step 5: Bake the Eggless Banana Zucchini Cake
- Pour batter evenly into cake pan. Bake for around 25-32 minutes or until the cakes are baked through. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
Step 6: Frost the Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake with Nutella
- Using a large serrated knife, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface. Discard (or crumble over ice cream!). Evenly cover the top with Nutella frosting.
- Decorate with chocolate sprinkles
- Slice and serve.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BANANA (EGGLESS) CAKE WITH NUTELLA FROSTING – TIPS
- Bake a 2 Layer cake Chocolate Zucchini Banana (Eggless) Cake: Double the recipe and bake 2-layers of Chocolate Zucchini Banana Eggless Cake!
- Bake a Pan Cake: Make this cake in a tray pan (9×13 pan). Make sure to bake for a few more minutes.
- Try a Cream Cheese Frosting by beating cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the confectioner’s sugar, a little at a time, and beat until smooth.
- Make it even more CHOCOHOLATY: Fold in some chocolate chips into the batter.
- Bake Chocolate Banana Zucchini Cupcakes instead: This can easily be converted into a cupcake recipe! Divide the batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake at the same temperature for 16-18 minutes.
- Replace Yogurt with Buttermilk or Sour Cream: To make buttermilk, add 1 TBSP of white vinegar to 1/4 cup of milk. Let it rest till the milk curdles and turns into buttermilk. You can substitute Sour Cream if needed.
- Squeeze the water out of the Zucchini: See notes below.
- Mash the Banana really well.
- DON’T OVERMIX – To help keep this cake light, soft and airy, don’t overmix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
The Best Way To Shred Zucchini
Trim ends from zucchini and grate on the coarse side of a box grater.
Using clean hands, squeeze grated zucchini over a bowl to remove excess moisture. Alternatively, place grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl and press with back of spoon to remove moisture.
How do you store the Chocolate Zucchini Cake
You can store the cake at room temperature in an Airtight Container.
How do you freeze the Guilt Free Chocolate Cake
Bake this cake ahead of time and freeze it until you need it, there should be no problem doing this. However, don’t freeze a frosted chocolate zucchini cake. Frost the cake the day you want to serve it. Here are some tips:
- Allow it to completely cool.
- Wrap it in Saran Wrap or Press’n Seal
- Store in a freezer safe container.
- You can thaw the cake by simply leaving it in the refrigerator overnight or a couple of hours at room temperature.
Sharing is Caring…
I hope you enjoy this Eggless Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake recipe as much as my friends and family did. Who knew my 10-year-old boy who isn’t into greens, will not be able to keep his hands off this zucchini and banana loaded chocolate cake!! Rich, moist and a dose of veggies!!!
Please let me know how this turned out for you in the comments and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook or Twitter, if you baked this cake! Happy baking!
SOME OTHER CHOCOLATY GOODNESS
Chocolate Covered No-Bake Energy Bites
Double Chocolate Mini Bundt Cakes (One Bowl Recipe)
Easiest Chocolate Cake Recipe (Ever)
Eggless Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake
- 1 9 inch round cake pan
- 1 Hand Mixer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 table spoon Espresso Powder
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tea spoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 tea spoon Baking Soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/4 cup Fresh Greek yogurt (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 1/2 cup Mashed Banana without any lumps
- 1 cup Shredded Zucchini (water squeezed out)
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F
- Grease a 9-inch round pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Trim ends from zucchini and grate on the coarse side of a box grater. Using clean hands, squeeze grated zucchini over a bowl to remove excess moisture. Alternatively, place grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl and press with the back of a spoon to remove moisture.
- Mash the banana well. Make sure there are no lumps.
Mix the Wet Ingredients
- In a bowl mix oil, brown sugar, yogurt, mashed banana, and zucchini together until combined. Keep aside
Shift the Dry Ingredients
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt together in another bowl.
Bake the Best ever Eggless Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Pour batter into the cake pan. Bake for around 25-32 minutes or until the cakes are baked through. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done.
Frost the Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake
- Allow cakes to cool completely on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting.
- Frost the Chocolate Zucchini Banana Cake with Nutella. Using a large serrated knife, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface. Discard (or crumble over ice cream!). Evenly cover the top with Nutella frosting. Decorate with chocolate sprinkles.
- Slice and serve.
love this banana cake! it turned out so good and loved that it’s egg-free too!