Who said that you need eggs to make a perfect cake? Whether you’re avoiding eggs or just want to try baking an eggless cake, this recipe is sure to impress. Trust me, you won’t even miss the eggs! This Eggless Dates and Persimmon Coffee Cake is rich, dense, and utterly delicious. Made with dried persimmons and topped with walnuts, this cake can be enjoyed for dessert and even breakfast or brunch!!
And I.LOVE.FALL BAKING
And what can be better than enjoying the flavors of fall with a slice of this amazing eggless dates and persimmon coffee cake?
I can never get bored eating this fruit – either in fresh form or dried. Persimmons are one of the many other reasons that I look forward to Fall. It was about time, I tried baking with persimmons and bringing you a nice and rich Persimmon and Dates Cake Recipe. This Eggless Dates and Persimmon Coffee Cake recipe is one of the easiest eggless cakes you’ll ever make. You will need just a bowl and no special equipment! Best snack cake ever!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAKE
Well, it’s eggless!! If you have an egg allergy or you are a vegan, this cake is for you. Also, why add an egg, when you don’t need to?
You can make this cake in a microwave! Yup!! See the Microwave version section below.
This Persimmon Cake is dense, moist, and full of flavor, with chunks of dates in it.
This Persimmon and Dates Cake can be so perfect for dessert and even breakfast or brunch!
Not a fan of persimmons or don’t have them handy? No Problem! Replace persimmon with any dried fruit like – figs, cranberries, etc.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS COFFEE CAKE
- Persimmon: I have used dried Persimmons in this recipe. You can substitute persimmons with any other dry fruits like plum, cherry, apricots etc.
- Dates: I have used medjool dates. Love their plump and rich texture.
- Flour: All purpose flour is used in this coffee cake recipe
- Buttermilk: I have made my own buttermilk by diluting milk with vinegar. See the TIPS section to know how.
- Sugar: You will need white granulated sugar
- Walnuts: If you don’t have walnuts, you can substitute walnuts for almonds, pistachio etc
- Olive Oil: Well, if you know me by now, I love using olive oil in baking, but any oil will work in this recipe.
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda & Salt
- Vanilla Essence
STEP BY STEP METHOD TO MAKE THE PERSIMMON CAKE
- Chop the dates and dried persimmon to small pieces. Keep aside.
- Add vinegar to milk. Let it stand for few minutes. The milk will curdle and turn into buttermilk.
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS
- Whisk the buttermilk, sugar, and oil vigorously until frothy in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract until incorporated.
PREPARE THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, Cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
MIX & BAKE THE DATES & WALNUT COFFEE CAKE
- Mix buttermilk, oil, and sugar
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined
3. Mix in the chopped persimmon and dates
4. Then pour the batter into a greased 8×4″ rectangular baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees or until puffed in the center and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
TIPS, TRICKS & FREQUESNTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
As an egg replacement, I have used buttermilk in this persimmon and dates cake. Baking soda is alkaline and reacts when comes in contact with acidic ingredients. The buttermilk here acts as an acidic ingredient and reacts with baking soda. This creates a reaction and bubbles of carbon dioxide are produced. These bubbles will now get trapped in the batter and help our cake rise and be amazing.
Can I replace Buttermilk with something else?
Yes, you an use yogurt.
What frosting goes with this Dates & Persimmon Coffee Cake?
Though I prefer my cakes un-frosted and naked, but I have friends who love frosted cakes. A simple cream cheese frosting will go wonderfully well with this dates coffee cake. Mix some room temperature butter with icing sugar, cream cheese, and a bit of cornflour. This will result in a quick and easy cream cheese frosting for your coffee cake!!!
If you are new to eggless baking, this article will help you. https://www.bakingo.com/blog/6-amazing-tips-baking-eggless-cake/
LOOKING FOR SOME MORE EGGLESS SNACK CAKE RECIPES?
- Eggless Date and Nut Cake,
- Double Chocolate Loaf Cake (Eggless),
- Semolina Coconut Cake (Egg Free & Butter Free)
- Orange Loaf Cake | Egg Free & Butter Free
EGGLESS DATES AND PERSIMMON COFFEE CAKE
For the Cake – Dry Ingredients
- 1 & 1/2 cups All purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 tea spoon Baking powder
- 1/2 tea spoon Baking soda
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
For the coffee Cake – Wet Ingredients
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 table spoon White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 tea spoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Crushed Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Dates soaked and chopped
- 1/2 cup Dried persimmon soaked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350 degree F
Mix the Wet Ingredients
- In a clean bowl, add the milk and vinegar. Give it a good mix using a spoon and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- In a separate bowl add the sugar and. Using a whisk mix this really well for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix it.
- Add the buttermilk and combine well.
Sift the Dry Ingredients
- Now to the batter through a sifter add the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Using a spatula gently fold the dry mix in. Mix until you don't see any large flour pockets.
- Drain the water from the soaked persimmon and dates.
- Add the chopped persimmon, dates to the batter and give it a final mix.
- Transfer to an 8’ baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top and bake for 40/45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.