These Eggless Mini Gulab Jamun Cheesecakes are utterly creamy, flavored with rich Indian flavors and a showstopper fusion dessert combining the best of both the worlds – Cheesecake and Gulab Jamun! What can be better than that, right?
This Eggless Mini Gulab Jamun Cheesecake has a coconut-date-cashew-ghee crust. I went for this crust instead of the traditional graham cracker+butter crust to give the cheesecake another layer of Indian flavor. This recipe is a must try for not only the Indian festivals like Holi or Diwali.., but also you can make these easy treats for your Thanksgiving dinner or holiday potlucks. Trust me, these eggless mini gulab jamun cheesecakes will steal the show. 🙂 It certainly did on our Diwali parties this year.
But that’s a big dessert and when you make a full size cheesecake, they sure look pretty but they are less convenient to make for parties and potlucks. Wouldn’t bite size be so much better?
So, why Eggless Mini Gulab Jamun Cheesecake?
Why you want to make a full size cheesecake, especially when they are less convenient to make for parties and potlucks. Making these mini versions are so much better.
Gulab jamuns are very sweet. So when you combine gulab jamuns with cheesecake and make it a fusion dessert, the combination turns out to be beautiful, delicious and more binge worthy.
Last year for Thanksgiving, I baked this Gulab Jamun Misti Doi dessert which became very popular. But this year for Diwali, I wanted to bake mini bite sized version of the gulab jamun cheesecake for the diwali parties.
If these reasons aren’t enough then here are some more –
- portion size is perfect for dinner parties.
- one of the easiest recipes
- makes such stunning edible gifts.
Ingredients for Eggless Mini Gulab Jamun Cheesecake
- 1 cup cashew
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup ghee
16 ounce Cream cheese – I use the Philadelphia cheesecake brand available in stores. Before you start, make sure, the cream cheese is at the room temperature. Room temperature cream cheese mixes well with sugar when you get to that part.
1 cup Full Cream – I use a USA metrics cup to measure my ingredients. Used full fat cream. Available in almost all the grocery stores.
1 cup sour cream – Use full fat sour cream
18/20 mini Gulab Jamun – For this recipe of eggless mini gulab jamun cheesecake, I used store bought gulab jamuns. They are available in Indian stores. If you dont fund gulab jamuns, you can easily make gulab jamuns at home using this gulab jamun recipe.
1/4 cup Corn flour – Use any brand that’s available to you. This helps the cheesecake bind.
1 tbsp Rosewater – Available in Indian/Middle eastern stores. Wholefoods and Sprouts also carry rose water. The rose-flavored syrup gives the dessert a beautiful fragrance and makes it feel both decadent and very special
1 tsp Cardamom powder – I make my own cardamom powder. You can too. Crush the cardamom seeds with a mortar and pastel.
Step by Step Process on making eggless mini gulab jamun cheesecake
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 12-count 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
Take out all the ingredients from the fridge couple of hours in advance. All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
Place the gulab jamun on a mesh strainer to drain excess syrup.
1 – Pulse dates, cashews, coconut till the mixture breaks down and combines well. A food processor comes handy here.
2 – Then add ghee and pulse a few times until all of the crumbs are moistened.
3 – Evenly distribute the mixture between all liners and firmly press it down into one even layer with the back of a slotted spoon.
4 – Finally, Keep it in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.
For Cheesecake filling
STEP 1 – Preheat oven to 350 degree F
STEP 2 – In the bowl mix the cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, corn flour, cardamom powder, rose water and sugar until smooth and creamy. If you have a stand in mixer, I would recommend to use that. If you have an electric mixer, that works well too.
NOTE – Do not over mix the batter. Beat till everything combines well.
STEP 3 – Evenly distribute the batter with help of an ice-cream scoop. make sure to fill up to a little above 1/2. We need to save some place for placing the gulab jamun in the middle.
STEP 4 – Take each gulab jamun and place it in the middle.
STEP 5 – Bake at 350 degree F for about 20 minutes. You know the cheesecakes are ready when they are a little jiggly on the top yet firm.
NOTE – If you have only one muffin tin (12 count), you need to wait about 2 hours before you start on the second batch. I had two so I baked everything at once.
NOTE – Make sure the gulab jamun cheese cakes are completely cool, before you keep them in the refrigerator. If you keep the hot or warm gulab jamun cheesecakes in the refrigerator, they will develop cracks.
STEP 6 – Once they are cool, put them in the refrigerator overnight for them to set.
Tips on making eggless mini gulab jamun cheesecakes
- All ingredients should be at room temperature
- To save time and energy, buy ready made gulab jamuns from the store. Brands such as Haldiram or Amul have good quality gulab jamuns. You may need two tins.
- The cheesecakes need to rest in the refrigerator preferably overnight to firm up.
- This eggless mini gulab jamun cheesecakes can be made 3/4 days prior to the event. They not only stay well in the refrigerator but also taste better.
- Remember to strain the gulab jamuns of excess syrup. Or else the syrups from the gulab jamun will make the cheesecakes soggy.
- You can also use a traditional cheesecake crust with graham crackers and butter.
- This cheesecake can be frozen for up to 3 months and keeps well in the fridge for 3 days.
- You can replace the cream cheese with ricotta
- Use full fat cream cheese in this recipe. The lighter versions don’t set as well.
Some more desserts you must try to celebrate with friends and family –
Eggless Mini Gulab Jamun Cheesecake
- FOR CRUST
- 1 cup dry roasted unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup ghee
- For CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 16 ounce cream cheese use the full fat version
- 1 cup full fat whipping cream
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 22 -24 gulab jamun available in Indian stores
- 3/4 cup cup sugar
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- silver vaq for decorations
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C or 350 degree F.
- In a mesh strainer strain the gulab jamuns from the excess syrup
- Line a 12 cupcake tray with cupcake liners (I used two)
- In blender, add the coconut, dates, cashews and give it a whirl till the mixture forms a crumb like texture and comes together.
- Add melted ghee and mix it again.
- Pour around 2 tbsp of crumbs in 24 liners and press it against the base using the back of a spoon.
- Refrigerate it for 30 minutes to set.
- In a big bowl, add room temperature cream cheese and sugar. Using an electric mixture or stand in food processor mix till the mixture is fluffy.
- Add cream, rose water, corn flour, sour cream and cardamom powder to the bowl.
- Mix till everything comes together. Scrape from the side of the bowl from time to time.
- DO NOT OVER MIX
- Using a ice cream scoop, scoop out (about 2 tbsp) the filling and fill the muffin tray. Make sure that you don't fill up to the top. We need some space to put the gulab jamuns in.
- Carefully put gulab jamuns in the middle.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Take out the tray from the oven and let the gulab jamun cheesecakes to be completely cool before putting them in the refrigerator overnight.NOTE – if you have just one 12 count muffin tray, then wait for an hour or two before starting the second batch to put in the oven.NOTE – Its important that the gulab jamun cheesecakes need to rest in the refrigerator to set.