You’ll love this moist and tender Low Fat Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake made with fresh ricotta, and almond flour. There is no butter or oil used in this cake making it a low fat version of your classic ricotta lemon cake. This is a delish combination of a cake and a cheesecake.
Here is a fun fact. This cake is baked from the leftover ricotta and condensed milk mixture, that I had used for making a roasted cheesecake. All I did was added three eggs, 1 cup of almond flour, 1 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of semolina to the mixture. Mixed it well and pour it into my brand new Nordic Ware bundt pan and baked in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 45-50 mins and voila!!! The Lemon Ricotta Cake is ready for snacking. 🙂 And, you ask what makes it low fat? Well, there is no butter or no oil in this cake.
What I ended up with was a moist (thanks to the ricotta!), lemon scented, not-too-sweet cake that tasted like I had spent the whole day working on it. And the texture!! crumbly. Trust me, this low fat lemon ricotta cake is going to be one of your favorite recipes to enjoy during any time of the year.
Why You will love this recipe
Super easy ingredient list. All you need to buy is some full fat ricotta. Everything else should already be in your pantry – eggs, flours, lemons etc,
I was eager to use my new bundt pan.., but this cake can bake beautifully in a 9 inch round cake pan too.
One Bowl Recipe. Once you’ve got all your ingredients ready, all this recipe takes is one bowl mix it all technique. Easy.
Swappable ingredients. You don’t have lemon essence? Not a problem. Use some freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest. In fact fresh lemon juice and lemon zest will make this cake even more tastier.
Finally, bake the cake at 350°F until it’s golden brown, about 50–60 minutes. Then let it cool at least 20 minutes before taking it out of the pan.
Incredibly light and moist. The ricotta makes every bite of this cake feel like a bite of heaven in your mouth. This cake makes a great snack cake for travels too. Serve it with some berries or a a dollop of cream or just enjoy a slice for breakfast with a cup of black coffee.
Ingredients used in Lemon Ricotta Cake
Ricotta – use full fat unsalted ricotta for best results. Also make sure your ricotta is at room temperature. Super creamy, ricotta gives the cake it’s rich, gooey texture.
Eggs – 3 mediu m sized, room temperature eggs.
Vanilla essence – I used a simple Vanilla Extract but Essence.
All Purpose Flour – I haven’t tried to make this cake with Gluten Free flour.
Almond Flour – I have used almond flour. Almond meal will work too. Use a good brand of almond flour for best results.
Semolina – I have used 1/4 cup of semolina flour. It adds a very nice texture to the cake.
Lemon essence – I had lemon essence handy, so I used it. But feel free to use both the juice and the zest of a lemon if you don’t have lemon essence.
Condensed Milk – I always use sweetened condensed milk with ricotta to extract the best flavors out of ricotta. You can always replace condensed milk with Caster Sugar or Fine White Granulated Sugar
Cardamom Powder – This is optional.
How to make Low Fat Lemon Ricotta Cake
There’s a few steps, all of which require time (you have to let the ingredients whisk or beat for the recommended times to incorporate enough air into the cake!), but it’s mostly hands off. Trust us, your patience will be rewarded.
Preheat your oven to 350 degree F.
Grease your bundt cake pan.
Cream ricotta and condensed milk until incredibly smooth.
Add eggs. – One by One.
Beat in lemon essence, vanilla essence, salt and cardamom powder.
Fold in all purpose flour, almond flour, semolina, baking powder and baking soda. Mix in gently.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then bake until golden brown and puffed up!
Cool slightly and enjoy!!!.
Tips for making ricotta cake
- Make sure you grease the sides of your cake tin well since this cake may stick to the sides.
- Adding fresh lemon juice means the cake batter might look a little curdled, but it’s totally fine.
- This cake is moist and dense, so it won’t rise as much as a regular cake. You can tell it’s ready by inserting a skewer into the center, it should come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the cake tin as it will be quite fragile when warm.
- Don’t overmix this cake batter to ensure a tender crumb.
- I used a bundt cake pan for this cake. You can use a 9-inch pan. You can also use a 9 inch springform pan.
- This recipe calls for lemon essence buy finely grated lemon zest and lemon juice work best.
- In addition to lemon essence, there is vanilla and a small amount of cardamom powder used in this cake. The combination might sound odd but it is wonderful. The small amount of cardamom powder adds a delicious Indian dessert flavor.
- This lemon ricotta can be made in advance and refrigerated, but it tastes best served at room temperature.
- Whole milk ricotta works best. I have used Frigo brand ricotta.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk will give this cake such a rich taste. I have used Eagle brand condensed milk.
Other Ricotta Recipes
Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake (Low Fat)
- 1 cup 300 g of ricotta
- 1 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Semolina
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Lemon Essence
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Cardamm Powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease your bundt cake pan.
- Cream ricotta and condensed milk until incredibly smooth.
- Add eggs. – One by One.
- Beat in lemon essence, vanilla essence, salt and cardamom powder.
- Fold in all purpose flour, almond flour, semolina, baking powder and baking soda. Mix in gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then bake until golden brown and puffed up!
- Cool slightly and enjoy!!!