This Pear coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping is loaded with fresh pears and topped with an irresistible cinnamon streusel topping making it the perfect snack cake for those lazy weekends of fall and autumn.
If you are looking for a coffee cake or even a snack cake recipe to learn how to bake a moist, crumbly, cinnamon flavored cake to enjoy your coffee or tea with, then this is the recipe for you. This Pear cake with cinnamon streusel screams all flavors of fall and autumn.
The pears are fresh picked from my tree in early September and apart from sharing the pears with my friends and neighbors, I bake some delicious cakes with them. Like this Caramel Pear Cake. I even make a nice alcohol free cocktail with fresh pears as well. If you are a fan of warm flavors of ginger and natural sweetness of fresh pears, you may actually enjoy this Fresh Pear and Ginger beverage
This Pear cake with cinnamon streusel topping is actually my go to coffee cake recipe for fall/autumn winter baking. Made with simple cake ingredients and overripe pears, this cake can be a staple snack cake for you.
Why you’ll love this Pear Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping?
- One Bowl: All you need is just one bowl to make this Pear cake recipe.
- Easy Coffee Cake: All you need a cup of hot coffee or a tea to bring out the best taste from this cake
- Tastes like Fall: This cake recipe is THE recipe for fall baking. You have a fresh cake that makes the whole house smell like early Christmas morning or lazy fall weekends.
- You can swap the pears for apples: You can make this recipe with apples too.
Ingredients used in this recipe
AP Flour- I haven’t experimented this recipe with GF flour. AP flour works best.
Sugar– I like using granulated cane sugar
Brown Sugar– Used brown sugar for the topping
Vegetable Oil– Also adds moisture to the cake.
Baking Powder– Helps the cake rise.
Vanilla Extract– To add a delicious hint of flavor.
Eggs– large eggs, any kind works.
Pears– Use your overripe pears. Any kind works, as long as it’s ripe and peeled. I like using green pears.
Salt– to balance the flavor.
Nutmeg– Always a great addition to any Fall baking recipe.
Toppings: Brown sugar, oats, AP flour, and cinnamon powder.
What is streusel topping made of?
Traditionally, Streusel topping is a crumb topping made with flour, butter, and sugar. In this Pear Cake recipe, I used oats, brown sugar, olive oil and cinnamon. The oats crisps up during baking giving it a coffee cake texture. Some recipes uses streusel topping to top the cakes but in addition to top the cakes, you can also layer it in the middle of a cake. Look at this Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake! Isn’t that gorgeous?
How to make this Pear Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping?
Very easy really.
Step 1 – Prepare Streusel: In a small bowl, use your hands to mix together the cinnamon, flour, brown sugar, oats to form a crumble. Set aside
Step 2 – Make Batter: Mix together the wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add the sifted flour mixture to the wet mixture.
Step 3 – Pour the batter into a prepared pan. Spoon the batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Generously top the batter with cinnamon streusel topping.
Step 4 – Bake the cake in a 350°F oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Always use room temperature ingredients.
If you dont have a Bundt pan, then use a spring foam pan or a big enough pan.
Do not use under ripe pears for this Pear Cake recipe. Always use soft mushy pears.
Depending on your oven and thickness of the pan, the cake might take less or more time. Insert a tooth pick or skewer into the center of the cake to check if it comes out clean.
You may add nuts, if you like. Just dust them with a little bit of AP flour before doing that.
Since this cake recipe uses well ripe pears, you can any pears.
Making the streusel is super-duper easy. All you need to do is mix oil with the dry ingredients. The mixture becomes moist and crumbly as a result.
My cake was ready in 45 minutes, but start checking it after 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs. The cake isn’t ready if the batter on the toothpick is still wet.
I didn’t use butter in this recipe. But you can always replace oil with butter.
Make sure to pre heat the oven.
Make sure to butter and flour your baking dish VERY well.
Don’t overmix the batter! Once you start to add the dry into the wet, mix it’s combined.
If it’s not pear season, use apples for an apple cake with cinnamon strudel topping.
Other Fall Cakes you should try
Pear Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cups (200g) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 and 1.2 cups (300g) sugar
- 3 or 4 Ripe pears depending on size (you’ll need 2 grated cups total, but I don’t recommend you grate them until you are about to use them, so they don’t brown)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup For Cinnamon Streusel Topping All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (53g) brown sugar (packed), light or dark
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp (57g) oil
- Heat your oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Lightly grease and flour your Bundt cake pan
- Combine all the ingredients for the streusel topping with your hand and keep it aside
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and stir with a fork to mix everything well.
- Peel and core pears, then grate them. You’ll want two grated cups total; set them briefly aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, eggs, sugar, grated pear, nuts (if using), and vanilla, and stir to mix everything well.
- Add the pear mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until the flour disappears and the batter is evenly moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Top with the cinnamon streusel topping.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 40/45 minutes, or until the bread is browned and firm on top and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
This reminds me of my favorite Apple Dapple cake so it will likely become another favorite.
Thank you Sowmya!
Thank you 🙏