One snack that’s everyone’s favorite in all over India is Roasted Spicy Chuda Bhaja|Spicy Poha|Spicy Chivda. Especially, if you are from Eastern India. This Roasted Spicy Chuda Bhaja|Spicy Poha|Spicy Chivda is dry roasted and then flavored with dry roasted peanuts, dry roasted red chilies and then generously seasoned with sea salt.
This dry roasted spicy poha snack is usually a daily accompaniment for your afternoon tea. The crisp texture from the dry roasted chuda/poha/flattened rice along with the nuttiness from the peanuts and spiciness from the chilies make this a delicious and addictive snack.
Roasted Spicy Chuda Bhaja|Spicy Poha|Spicy Chivda is such a healthier alternative to oily fried snacks. And it is ready in a jiffy. If you don’t have Chuda/Poha/Chivda/Flattened Rice available to you readily, then you can always use Puffed Rice or Murmure instead. Also, you can season your dry roasted Chuda/Poha/Chivda/Flattened rice with anything you wish. The choices are endless.
- 3 cups thin poha/flattened rice/Chuda
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 3 tablespoons whole cashews
- 4/5 red dried chilies
- 1/2 TSP sugar
- 1 TSP salt
- 15-20 curry leaves (optional)
- Heat a pan
- Dry roast poha/chuda/chivda for 10/12 minutes on low flame. Don’t expect the color to change.
- Take it out of the pan and transfer the roasted paha/chivda/chuda to a shallow dish
- In the same pan, roast peanuts and dry red chilies
- Stir continuously till the peanuts change color slightly for about 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can use store-bought dry roasted peanuts
- Transfer the nuts and chilies to the same bowl
- Mix well with some salt
- Store in an airtight container
PIN for Later
this is a nice recipe, thanks for sharing.
I love this Chuda (or Chivda) as it is called in these parts of the world. I add different seasonings to it depending on my mood and this is almost always my tea-time snack.
It is just the roasting time that sometime kills my enthu for making it. 😀