“My mojito in the Bodeguita del Medio and my daiquiri in the Floridita.” – This is a signed quote hanging in La Floridita, Cuba, a place famous for its notorious past. I have heard that, people visit this place less for drinks and more for having a conversation with the patrons. I’m a Hemingway fan, so I got to like the drink that, he used to like, right?
I would love to visit Cuba with him someday and have a drink at Hemingway’s two favorite hangout places – La Floridita and La Bodeguita del Medio and get a taste of his signature cocktail. Until that happens, here is my Strawberry Mojito recipe that I learned from watching him.
Yesterday was CRAZY. A huge deliverable was due and as always, nothing is completed until the very last day, right? When I came home, I had to attend to my 4-year old’s tantrums and boy! was I drained. (kids are such energy suckers, I tell you!!) I needed a drink and there you go. This is what I mixed for me.
- 3 Tbsp Sugar. Use Sweetener if you want to cut down on sugar.
- 5 or 6 fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- 1 sprig mint
- 1-ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces rum
- Soda water or Sparkling water
- Place 4 or 5 small strawberry pieces in each glass and add 2-3 mint leaves on top. Juice about a tsp. of lime juice into each glass and add about 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Using the back of a spoon, gently mull the strawberries, mint, and lime juice together until the strawberries and mint begin to macerate.
- Add the rum, ice cubes, then fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water or club soda.
If you like this Strawberry Mojito, you might like: