If you are looking for a good fish recipe, then try this Tandoori Fish Tikka recipe – Made with very little oil, this fingerpicking good fish recipe is bursting with Tandoori flavors! You can make these gluten-free fish dish either on an air fryer or oven or on a stovetop! Enjoy these portion-controlled healthy yet yummy fish tikkas with some hot chutney or with some rice!
Fish marinated in a tangy yogurt tandoori and grilled with almost no oil makes an irresistible weeknight dinner. The best part about this Tandoori Fish Tikka Recipe is, that you can make it in an oven or gas stove, air fryer, or instant pot!!!
This Gluten-free Tandoori Fish Tikka recipe is one of the self-created recipes that I have been using for months now. All I do is marinate the fresh fish fillets with store-bought Tandoori Masala, yogurt, salt, and pepper, and using no oil or very less oil., pan fry them.
And as far as serving this Tandoori Fish Tikka is concerned, you can use them whatever way you wish. They will never fail you in taste.
SO, WHAT IS TANDOORI
Tandoor(i) is one of the most important menus in Indian restaurants around the world. The word Tandoor means a cylindrical oven used for baking and cooking. Traditionally the fuel used in Tandoor is charcoal or firewood.
Tandoori spice blend or the Tandoori Masala is just not limited to making Tandoori Chicken. This spice blend can be used on fish or other seafood as well. When you try this Tandoori Fish Tikka recipe, you will see, how the flavors come out when Tandoori Masala is mixed with thick yogurt as a marinade and then the fish is grilled or pan-fried with so-little-oil. Use fresh thick-cut fish fillets (Salmon, Monk Fish, Bass or Tilapia, Snapper, etc.) but thickly coat the fillets with tandoori marinade and then carefully grill or pan fry them.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS FISH TIKKA RECIPE
The best part about this Tandoori Fish Tikka is its such a HEALTHY RECIPE!
It’s an EASY RECIPE that uses a store-bought tandoori masala.
Makes a crazy good and SMOKEY FISH APPETIZER that you will love truly.
You will need just BASIC INGREDIENTS. Everything should be easily available.
You can pan fry these gluten-free fish tikkas on STOVE TOP, AIR FRY them in an air fryer, or BAKE them in an oven
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE TANDOORI FISH
- Fresh Fish Fillet: I have used Tilapia in this recipe. You can use any other fish. salmon will work best too. Make sure that the fish is boneless.
- Thick Yogurt to marinate the fish with. If you don’t have Greek Yogurt, then strain the yogurt in a cheesecloth for 30 minutes to drain the whey from the yogurt.
- Paprika or Red Chili Powder: Use paprika to get that beautiful red color and if you like it spicy, then use chili powder.
- Black pepper
- Tandoori Masala (Readily available in all grocery stores)
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves: This is available in Indian stores. If you cant find it, feel free to skip this ingredient
- Lemon juice
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
There are couple ways you can make your Tandoori Fish Tikka. You can bake them in oven, Air Fry them, Grill them or pan fry them. However, the first step is to marinate the fish couple of hours prior to cooking them.
STEP 1: Prepare the marinade
In a big mixing bowl, add all the marination ingredients – thick yogurt, salt, turmeric, tandoori masala, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
STEP 2: Prepare the fish fillets
Cut the boneless fish into 2 inch chunks. Pat them dry to absorb the moisture from the fish.
STEP 3: Marinate the Fish fillets
Marinate the fish fillet with the prepared marinade and keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (minimum 4 to 5 hours). I kept mine marinated overnight.
STEP 4: Make Tandoori Fish Tikka
Making fish tikka on Stove Top
- Heat a flat griddle. If you wish you can brush it with oil.
- Once the griddle or pan is piping hot, add the marinated fish fillets one by one and very carefully.
- Fry the fish on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each on medium to high heat.
Making fish tikka in Oven
- Pre-heat over to 375 degrees F
- Brush an ovenproof pan with little oil and arrange the fish pieces on it. Make sure they don’t touch each other
- Let the fish bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. No need to turn the fish.
Making Tandoori Fish tikka in Air Fryer
- Line the drip pan with aluminum foil. Place the fry basket in the drip pan.
- Arrange the marinated fish in a single layer. Spray a spoonful of oil.
- Set the Temp to 350 degrees F and air fry for 8 to 10 minutes.
TIPS – Don’t overcrowd the frying basket or else, the fish won’t crisp up.
TIPS & TRICKS TO MAKE THE BEST TANDOORI FISH
- Use good quality fresh fish. The star in this recipe is fish and if your fish isn’t fresh then that will ruin the whole dish.
- Make sure to pat dry your fish fillet before marinating them. If the fish is dry, then the tandoori masala gets coated well resulting in a crispier texture.
- If you are using frozen fish, then defrost the fish well before marinating.
- Feel free to use some onion and bell peppers to grill along with the fish. This will ensure that you have a complete meal.
- If you don’t have thick yogurt, then drain the yogurt using a cheesecloth. Thicker the yogurt, the better the quality of the marinade.
- While serving, the tandoori fish tikka, sprinkle some chaat masala , and squeeze some lemon juice!
HOW TO SERVE TANDOORI FISH TIKKA
- You can enjoy these delicious and healthy fish tikka just like that with some spicy chutney
- You can use these fish tikkas as the filling for tacos or fish roll
- You can serve these fish tikkas on a bed of basmati rice
Tandoori Fish Tikka (Air-Fryer, Stove-Top & Oven)
- Air Fryer or Oven or Griddle
- 1 pound Fresh Fish cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 Cup Thick yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Paprika or Chili powder (if you want it spicy, use some hot pepper flakes).
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp. Ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. Tandoori Masala
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dried fenugreek leaves
PREPARE THE FISH
- Cut the boneless fish into 2-inch chunks. Pat them dry to absorb the moisture from the fish.
PREPARE THE MARINADE
- In a big mixing bowl, add all the marination ingredients – thick yogurt, salt, turmeric, tandoori masala, lemon juice, salt, dried fenugreek leaves and pepper
- Marinate the fish fillet with the prepared marinade and keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (minimum 4 to 5 hours). I kept mine marinated overnight.
MAKE FISH TIKKA APPETIZER IN OVEN
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush an ovenproof pan with little oil and arrange the fish pieces on it. Make sure they don't touch each other.
- Bake the tikkas in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. No need to turn the fish.
MAKE FISH TIKKA APPETIZER IN AIR FRYER
- Line the drip pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the fry basket in the drip pan. Arrange the marinated fish in a single layer. Spray a spoonful of oil.
- Set the Temp to 350 degrees F and air fry for 8 to 10 minutes.
MAKE FISH TIKKA APPETIZER ON STOVE TOP
- Line the drip pan with aluminum foil. Place the fry basket in the drip pan.Arrange the marinated fish in a single layer. Spray a spoonful of oil.Set the Temp to 350 degree F and air fry for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Brush the griddle with some oil.
- Once the griddle or pan is piping hot, add the marinated fish fillets one by one and very carefully. Fry the fish on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each on medium to high heat.
SERVE TANDOORI FISH TIKKA
PIN for Later: