This Blueberry Gin Smash cocktail recipe is made with homemade Blueberry Aigre-Doux, gin, lemon juice and topped with tonic water making it an absolutely delicious gin cocktail.
Yet another gin drink! Can we ever have enough gin drinks, eh? BTW, what’s your favorite brand of gin? My ABSOLUTELE favorite is – Hendricks! And nah, its not a sponsored post. I just love Hendricks. And this Blueberry Gin Smash Cocktail will leave you with the right amount of happy tipsy. There is nothing like, pairing fresh blueberries with gin to get that refreshing cocktail.
The combination of sweet, juicy, tart blueberries paired with your favorite liquor will tingle your senses.
In this Blueberries Gin Cocktail recipe, I have used a homemade blueberries syrup which the French call it – Aigre-Doux. Don’t get fooled by the name and trust me, this homemade syrup makes all the difference. And the best part about the Blueberry aigre-doux is that, it has varieties of uses and its way too much better than the store bought ones.
- Top the vanilla ice cream
- Serve it with a piece of sponge cake
- Marinate your fish or meat
- Use it on crackers etc etc.
How to make Blueberry Aigre-Doux?
According to https://www.foodnetwork.com/terms/aigre-doux, its pronunced as: [ay-greh-DOO] and its the the French term for the combined flavors of sour (aigre) and sweet (doux). An aigre-doux sauce might contain both vinegar and sugar.
Takes less than 4 ingredients to make this but it has so many uses.
- Blueberries, (frozen or fresh)
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Juice
Add blueberries (fresh or frozen), water, sugar, and lemon juice into a saucepanand cook on low-medium heat till the mixture comes to a simmer. keep stirring the syrup until the all the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar is dissolved and the berries are smushy, mash them with the backside of a spatula.
Ingredients used in Gin Cocktail Recipe
- blueberry aigre-doux As mentioned above, you need this ingredient for this drink. Making your own is absolutely worth it. Even if you can’t find fresh blueberries, using frozen blueberries is still better than using a store bought syrup.
- Gin: Any type of gin works with this drink. But I have used Hendricks here.
- Triple Sec: This Orange liqueur adds a nice tangy touch
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice balances the blueberry
- Tonic water The tonic water adds a nice amount of fizz to the drink.
How to Make Blueberry Gin Smash Cocktail?
This is a two-part recipe. First you have to make the Blueberry Aigre-Doux. Use frozen berries or fresh but frozen are a little easier to handle. Once you have the Blueberry Aigre-Doux ready, you can mix the cocktail and serve. The blueberry Aigre-Doux stay well in the refrigerator for over a month.
Step 1 – Make Blueberry Agre-Doux
Step 2 – Add ice cubes, Gin, Cointreau and blueberry syrup to a cocktail shaker. Shake and pour into glasses. Top with tonic water.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use vodka in place of gin?
Absolutely, any vodka will work great in this recipe
Do I need to use Blueberry Syrup/Blueberry Agre-Doux?
If you do not have time to make the blueberry agre-doux then you can always use some blueberry jam or store bought blueberry simple syrup to yield that gorgeous color.
Can I make into a Mocktail?
Yes, of course. Add some lemon juice to the shaker and this will make a delicious Blueberry Lemonade.
Can I Use blueberry gin ?
You definitely can use a blueberry gin for this drink, but if you have it already, you can use it in the place of regular gin for an extra blueberry kick.
Can I skip the shaker?
If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, don’t let that stop you from making this drink! Instead, add all the ingredients except the club soda to a glass and stir vigorously until well combined. Then add in the ice and club soda.
Can I substitute soda water for tonic water?
Yes, you can. You will end up with a more fizzed cocktail.
Serve with fresh ice. Never use the same ice that you used in your cocktail shaker to serve in your glass. This ice is broken down and watery after shaking in the shaker and will dilute your drink faster without cooling it as much. Strain out the old shaken ice into a glass with fresh ice before serving.
If you are like me who likes to muddles fresh fruits and berries into their cocktails, then you will definitely enjoy these choices –
Bluberry Gin Smash Cocktail
For Blueberry Agre-Doux
- 16 oz Blueberries, (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
For Blueberry Gin Smash Cocktail
- 2 oz Gin
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 1 oz Blueberry syrup/agre-doux
- 3 oz Tonic water
- Handful of ice
- Fresh Blueberries to garnish
How to Make Blueberry Agre-Doux
- Add blueberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice into a saucepan and cook on low-medium heat till the mixture comes to a simmer. Keep stirring the syrup until the all the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar is dissolved and the berries are mushy, mash them with the backside of a spatula.
How to make Blueberry Gin Smash Cocktail
- Add the gin, Cointreau, blueberry syrup to a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice. Shake well for 10- 15 seconds.
- Pour into glasses and top with tonic water