This tutti frutti loaf cake is such a quick and easy loaf cake recipe for desserts, afternoon snacks, and even breakfasts. A simple cake suited for all!! Learn how to make tutti frutti loaf cake with step-by-step instructions.
WHAT IS TUTTI FRUTTI
Tutti Frutti it is made from berries and chopped fruits but in India, the tutti frutti is made from raw papaya. Though I never tried it making at home, I have heard that its pretty easy to make.
Tiny pieces of Raw papaya is cooked in sugar syrup and then air dried. Once the process of sweetening, coloring and air drying the tiny little pieces of papaya is completed, they look like colorful candies and are called tutti frutti.
I grew up eating dry cakes in my childhood and still are wonderful memories! Whenever I think of those days and cakes it brings so much happiness Tutti frutti was a fun flavor back then. Similar to birthday confetti here in the USA. I still vividly remember the amazing taste of Britannia Tutti Frutti Cakes. Now that I can make my own tutti frutti cakes, I rely no more on the store-bought tutti frutti cakes to enjoy as a tea cake.
This Tutti Frutti cake makes for a lovely everyday snacking or fun cake. It can be prepared and enjoyed year-round.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE
ALL PURPOSE FLOUR/MAIDA
I have used all purpose flour in this Tutti Frutti Cake recipe. You can switch to whole wheat flour or gluten free flour if you wish.
LIGHT OLIVE OIL
Almost all my recipes use oil instead of butter. In this snack cake recipe, I have used a very light olive oil. Love the taste of olive oil in my cakes. You can always vegetable oil if you don’t want to use olive oil. I’m sure, butter gives a delicious taste to the cakes and helps to create a light and tender texture in the cake batter however, I find oil is easier to work with and little more heart friendly.
I have used granulated sugar in this tea cake recipe. You can use powdered sugar if you are more comfortable with powdered sugar than granulated sugar.
I like adding butter milk to cake batters, especially when baking a snack time cake to go with my coffee. cake. Buttermilk gives cakes a soft crumb. The addition of buttermilk keeps it moist and tender.
Though I don’t usually bake with eggs, but in this recipe for easy tutti frutti cake, I have used two eggs. Eggs contribute in giving structure to a cake because of the protein from both the yolk and the white. The protein coagulates as the cake bakes and, along with the starch from the flour, forms the cake crumb.
All of my snack time cakes, contain some kind of essence. In this easy tutti frutti cake, I have used a good quality vanilla essence.
Baking powder and baking soda are the leavening agents that I have used to make my tutti frutti cake super fluffy. When the alkaline and acid in the baking powder mix with wet ingredients, baking powder is activated.
STEP BY STEP METHOD TO MAKE TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE
PREPARATION: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, position a rack in the middle of the oven. Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
Coat 1/2 cup of the tutti frutti with 1 tablespoon of flour. Keep it aside.
SIFT THE DRY INGREDIENTS: In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
PREPARE THE WET INGREDIENTS: In another bowl, beat oil and sugar until light for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the eggs next, one at a time, and continue beating. Add the vanilla extract.
FOLD IN THE DRY INGREDIENTS INTO THE WET INGREDIENTS: Add the dry ingredients and milk, starting with flour and ending with flour into the wet ingredients.
Fold the flour coated tutti frutti into the batter gently. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tin, sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of tutti frutti on top of the batter.
BAKE: Bake in the middle rack, for about 45 – 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
TIPS & VARIATIONS
- Substitute the tutti frutti with other nuts or candied fruit peels.
- When you pour the cake batter into the cake tin, brush a spoonful of milk on top. Milk has natural sugar in it, which when comes in contact with heat, caramelizes. This means the perfect golden brown top for our cake!
- To make this tutti frutti cake taste even more amazing, you can add some chopped nuts like cashews or pistachios.
- Instead of vanilla essence, you can use 1 tbsp of rose water or almond extract to the cake batter to get a floral aroma from the tutti frutti cake. Sometimes, eggs can leave a very pungent egg smell. To avoid that, you can use both vanilla extract as well as the rose or almond extract.
- Use only good quality ingredients at room temperature.
- Make sure to whip the eggs well. Whipping the cakes will ensure that you have a light nd spongy cake. Not whipping the eggs enough will yield a dense cake but will also give off an eggy taste in the finished product.
- Sift the dry ingredients. Sifting also aerates the flour which will give you a light and fluffy sponge cake.
- Do not overbake. or too much moisture will be lost and the sponge cake will be dry.
- To substitute eggs in this recipe, simply use 1/4 cup of yogurt per egg, so you could use a total of 1/2 cup yogurt. Make sure you use really fresh yogurt.
If you want to enjoy a vegan Tutti Frutti Cake, try this –
Semolina Coconut Cake (Egg Free & Butter Free)
Semolina Cake with Orange Cardamom Syrup
Coconut Loaf Cake Recipe (Dairy Free)
KEEP IN TOUCH – Are we friends yet? Let’s connect on Facebook| Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter.
Tutti Frutti Loaf Cake Recipe
- 1 Whisk
- 2 cups All-purpose flour (maida)/250g
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 cup Milk mixed with 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup Tutti frutti (candied fruit)
- 1 tbsp Flour, to coat the tutti frutti
- 1 tbsp Tutti frutti to sprinkle on the top
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Light olive oil
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- Pre heat oven to 350 degree F
- Lightly grease and line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper
- Using 1 tbsp of flour, coat the 1 cup tutti frutti and keep it aside. Coating the tutti frutti with flour will prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the cake when the cake is baking.
SIFT THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and keep it aside. Sifting the flour helps in breaking up any lumps in the flour and will be easier to mix into other ingredients.
MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Beat the oil and sugar until light for about 2 minutes. If you are using a stand mixer, fit with the paddle attachment and beat the oil and sugar on medium-high speed.
- Add in the eggs one by one and mix till its light and fluffy. Fluffing up the eggs is an important step to add height and sponginess to the tutti frutti cake. The more you beat the eggs, the less you will get that eggy smell from the cake.
- Add the vanilla extract.
FOLD THE DRY INGREDIENTS INTO THE WET INGREDIENTS
- Start by adding a little bit of the flour to the wet mixture. Then add the milk. Alternate between flour and milk. Starting and ending with flour. Make sure to not over mix.
- Fold in the flour-coated tutii frutti.
- Pour the tutti frutti cake batter into the greased loaf cake tin. Sprinkle some more tutti frutti on top
BAKE THE TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake on a rack in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove it from the tin and cool on the rack completely.