This Tutti Frutti Snack Cake is vegan and can be enjoyed at any time of the day without much guilt. You don’t need eggs or dairy to make a moist, flavorful cake — and you definitely don’t need to be vegan to enjoy this vegan Tutti Frutti cake either!!!
A simple vegan snack cake recipe, this vegan tutti frutti snack cake – a childhood favorite (Thanks to Britannia who introduced us to snack cakes) is so easy to make and great to have on hand. Perfectly suitable for snacking any time of the day.
It’s a good afternoon snack in that you should feel you have more energy after a piece, not less, so it’ll keep you going until dinner time. It’s moist, spongy and crumbly.
WHAT IS TUTTI FRUTTI
Tutti Frutti is candied raw papaya. Sometimes watermelon rinds are also used to make tutti frutti. Raw Papaya or water melon is cooked in sugar syrup and then colored and allowed to air dry for days.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS VEGAN CAKE
It has a tender crumb, a lovely crust from the nuts sprinkled over the top before baking, and it’s everything you want in a snack cake.
INGREDIENTS USED IN THE VEGAN TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE
All Purpose Flour
I have used all purpose flour in this vegan tutti frutti snack cake recipe. This recipe will work wonderfully with gluten free flour too though I haven’t tried it yet.
I have used granulated white sugar.
Tutti Frutti is available in almost all the Indian stores. This time though my sis-in-law sent me couple of packets from India with my brother who was visiting me. If you can’t source tutti frutti in your local Indian stores, you can always try the candied fruits and nuts which are available in most of the grocery stores in USA.
I have used vegetable oil in this vegan cake recipe. You can opt for ghee or light olive oil too.
Vegan Milk & Vegan Yogurt
I have used almond milk and cashew yogurt in this recipe. You can use any other non-diary milk like oat milk, coconut milk or cashew milk. You can also use just 1 cup of non-diary milk
I have used white vinegar. Vinegar helps the cake to rise and lift by reacting with baking soda. (Vinegar + Soda creates a chemical reaction to produce carbon dioxide).
Cornstarch acts as a thickening agent – it improves the texture of the tutti frutti cake recipe without changing the taste.
Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt
HOW TO MAKE THE NO-FAIL TUTTI FRUTTI CAKE – STEP BY STEP METHOD
Like any snack cake worth its salt, this vegan snack cake recipe is super easy. A few basic steps and you will be left with a cake to enjoy as a snack throughout the week (if it lasts that long!)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease an 6-inch round baking pan ( you can use any sized pan of your choice)
- Prepare the TUTTI FRUTTI by dusting them with flour. Combine tutti frutti and flour in a small bowl. Toss it well to combine.
NOTE – This process is done to prevent the tutti frutti from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS:
Combine the flour, corn flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS:
- In another bowl, beat the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla essence until the mixture is smooth and has lightened in color, about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the almond milk followed by yogurt and vinegar mixture to the sugar and oil. Mix in gently.
COMBINE THE DRY INGREDIENTS WITH WET INGREDIENTS
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient, and mix until the two are fully incorporated.
NOTE: Do not over mix the batter. Just mix till the batter is incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Fold in the flour coated tutti frutti.
Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle some more tutti frutti on top and bake.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR MAKING VEGAN CAKES
Here are five important tips and tricks to keep in mind for vegan tutti frutti cake.
TIP 1 – Always start with the oven. Make sure the rack is in the middle and then preheat the oven at least 15 minutes before you begin baking. Wait for 15 minutes even after the oven beeps to say it’s come to temperature.
TIP 2 – Line your cake pan before you start mixing the batter. Baking soda begins to work as soon as its mixed into the batter. If you leave the batter sitting around while you line pans, your tutti frutti cake won’t rise well.
TIP 3 – Bring milk and yogurt to room temperature so they don’t seize up. Its important to have everything at room temperature.
TIP 4 – Make sure your leavening agents such as baking powder and/or baking soda are fresh. They do expire.
TIP 4 – Sift your dry ingredients so your tutti frutti snack cake will be lighter and fluffier. You can sift or twice, its up to you. Measure the sifted flour properly by leveling the baking cups with a butter knife. Extra flour can make your vegan cake dense and dry.
TIP 5 – Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl in stages. After adding first batch, gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry mix with a rubber spatula. Repeat until all the wet ingredients are combined with the dry ingredients. You don’t need to beat or whip the ingredients. Fold them together until just combined. Overbeating will develop the gluten more and lead to less fluffy cakes and muffins.
OTHER EGG FREE CAKE RECIPES YOU WANT TO TRY
Semolina Cake with Orange Cardamom Syrup
KEEP IN TOUCH – Are we friends yet? Let’s connect on-Facebook| Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter. Pin this photo for future reference.
Tutti Frutti Snack Cake (Vegan)
- 1 Cake Tin
- 2 Mixing Bowls
TUTTI FRUTTI FLAVORING
- 1/2 Cup Tutti Frutti
- 1 tbsp Tutti Frutti to sprinkle on top
- 1 Tbsp Cashew to sprinkle on top
- Coat 1/2 cup tutti frutti with 1 tbsp flour and keep it aside
- Pre-heat oven to 30 degree F
- Prepare your cake tin by greasing it lightly and then lining it with a piece of parchment paper.
MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Sieve the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS
- In another bowl, beat sugar, vanilla essence and oil for 2 to 3 minutes till the mixture turns light in color
- Add the almond milk and mix
- Add the yogurt mixed with vinegar and mix gently
MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS INTO THE WET INGREDIENTS
- Gently add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl batch by batch
- Mix the dry with the wet for the tutti frutti cake gently.
- Fold in the tutti frutti
BAKE THE TUTTI FRUTTI VEGAN SNACK CAKE
- Pour the tutti frutti cake batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle 1 tbsp tutti frutti and some cashews on top.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- To get a flat top, put a handful of ice cubes in a small baking tin and place it in the lowest rack, just before you begin baking the cake. The moisture from the melting ice, helps the cake bake evenly, resulting in a flat top.
- Never over mix your batter.
- Also never open the oven door during baking. If you keep opening the oven door, you will let some of the heat out, which will lower the temperature inside, causing the cake to collapse.
- If you use a dark cake tin, lower the temperature to 325 degrees F, so that the cake bakes slowly and evenly. I have used a lighter pan and that why baked at 350 degrees F.
- Always spoon the flour into the cup until it overflows, then level it off with a knife. This will ensure that you have the right amount of flour
- If you plan to use whole wheat flour, then I recommend using whole wheat pastry flour or including equal proportions of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
- Skip sugar in the recipe and easily make it with jaggery or coconut sugar or palm sugar. But keep in mind that with these sugars the taste and flavor will be different.
- To make the tutti frutti cake less sweet, you can add ½ or ⅔ cup of sugar if you prefer.
Very Helpful for me as my daughter had gone vegan Thanks a ton for sharing, just a doubt any substitute for cashew yogurt? Or else cam i use Cashew paste
This cake looks so fun! I’ll have to put this on our to-bake list. I’ve never seen cashew yogurt around before and wondering where I can source that over here in the UK.
What a fun snack cake! I loved all the flavors, and it was a total hit!
I have to try this! It looks so tender and moist, and I love those ingredients. Yummo!
I’ve never heard of this until now, can’t wait to make this! Thank you for sharing.
Tutti frutti cake was and still is one of my most fav cakes. Thanks so much for this. Follow the easy to follow recipe.
super cute and colorful. what a great idea. pinned to make later with DD
What a great looking cake! I can’t wait to try it. I love that it’s vegan!
Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏
Loving the step by step approach. It looks so moist and yummy.
Ooh! I love that this is vegan. It sounds delicious, and the colors you chose make the cake look so pretty. Yum!
Oh yes, I agree. We don’t need to be vegan to enjoy vegan food for sure! Sometimes, we eat vegan food without knowing it’s vegan. I love this recipe. Looks like something I can enjoy doing with. my kids.
Oh this looks yum! It’s my first time hearing about this Tutti Frutti, and I want to give it a try 🙂
This Tutti Frutti Snack Cake looks great!:) I can’t wait to try it with my kids over the weekend. This will be the first time I will be making one. Thanks!:)
i had no idea i’d love tutti fruity so much! thanks for the wonderful recipe 🙂
What a beautiful spring cake. I can’t wait to give it a try. Texture is amazing and I love fruity flavors inside. Yum!
It looks so pretty I’m sure even kids would love it! I can’t wait to try making it!
Baking is fun!! And when there it is tutti frutti it is yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is quite colorful. It seems like it would be lovely on a spring table.
Can I use regualr yogurt instead of cashew yogurt. I understand it will not be vegan anymore. Do i still need to use the binegar then ??
This looks so yummy! Definitely going to try this.
Nnnniiiiiccccceeeeee…..I like this one. The fact that it’s an easy one to make makes it more appealing to me..
This is so nice! No more guilty feelings when eating as this is vegan. I need to try making this. I need to find the ingredients first. Yay! Thanks for the recipe!
Wow! This is such a fun vegan cake idea! I love how moist it is. All your instructions are so helpful to get it right.
Thank you Anaiah!
Thank you Anosa!
Hi Rupa, yes can use regular yogurt and yes, you will still need vinegar. 🙂
Looking at the cake I was like, I can’t make it! Then as I scrolled down I found the step-by-step photos! what an incredible work! Now I am ready to try out but a GF version. Thank you so much!
Thank you! Means a lot. 🙂
I’ll have to take a look for the Tutti Frutti mix. This looks delicious and I love that it is vegan. I really like poundcake and the fruit pieces look so good.
This looks delicious. I must try it
super fun and cute dessert – must try!!
Can we add normal milk?
I like tutti frutti .