When life gives you more lemons than you can use, make VEGAN LEMON PISTACHIO MUFFINS!! The best way to celebrate the citrus season. These irresistibly moist lemon-infused pistachio muffins are drizzled with lemon icing, bringing a hint of tart and sweet topping! For added texture, I have generously sprinkled the muffins with chopped pistachios. Each bite of this muffin is packed with sweet, tart, and nutty flavors of lemon and pistachios!
I have already baked these Vegan Lemon Pistachio Muffins…Guess what…5 times. No Kidding. But I felt most special when a friend’s daughter requested for it before she left for college. I didn’t have my post written up by then but I did write down the recipe for her.
This Vegan Lemon Pistachio Muffins will change your view on Tea Cakes. The muffins are moist and so very delicious that you can never stop at just one. I guarantee you. Plus, it’s Vegan. What else do we want, right? Since there is no dairy in these Lemon Pistachio Muffins, the shelf life of these muffins is longer and in fact, they taste way better the next day. The lemon drizzle on the top does the trick.
WHY THESE DIARY FREE LEMON PISTACHIO MUFFINS ARE SO DELICIOUS
- Supremely moist muffins
- Perfect snack muffins loaded with refreshing flavors from lemons and nutty texture from pistachios
- Made with 100% naturally flavored with fresh lemons (both the juice and zest) and pistachios
- Easy recipe that is perfect for serving at any special occasion or gathering
- Perfect snack to enjoy with coffee or tea
KEY INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE VEGAN LEMON PISTA MUFFINS
FOR THE VEGAN MUFFINS
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder, Salt and Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
- Light Olive Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Zest
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
- Lemon Juice
- Powdered Sugar
- Ground Pistachios
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LEMON MUFFINS WITH LEMON SUGAR DRIZZLE
These VEGAN muffins are super easy to make. They will be ready under 30 minutes! All you need is a little bit of whisking, folding, and baking. 🙂
STEP 1 – Preheat oven to 325°F and Grease a muffin tin by brushing with oil and lining them with muffin liners
STEP 2: Coarsely grind shelled and unsalted pistachios.
STEP 3: Sieve the Dry Ingredients
Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl
Mix the coarsely ground pistachios into the flour mixture
STEP 4: Prepare the wet Ingredients
Whisk oil, 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, and ½ cup water in a small bowl to combine. Mix sugar.
STEP 5: Mix the Dry Ingredients into Wet Batter
Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients and fold to combine. Be very careful not to over-mix.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tray up to halfway.
STEP 6: Bake the Vegan Lemon Muffins
Bake the vegan lemon muffins until golden brown all over for about 25-30 minutes. It springs back when gently pressed, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
STEP 7: Ice the Vegan Lemon Pistachio Muffins
let the muffins cool completely in the pan, for at least 2 hours.
Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl, until you have a thick but pourable glaze. Pour glaze over muffins
Immediately top the muffins with reserved pistachios, then let sit until the glaze is set, at least 30 minutes.
PRO-TIPS FOR BAKING THE BEST VEGAN LEMON PISTACHIOS MUFFINS
- Avoid Using Artificial Flavors – It is best to use real pistachios instead of artificial flavorings and extracts. Same with Lemons. Use fresh lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Unshelled Pistachios – unshelled pistachios have a more vibrant green color compared to shelled pistachios. It takes few minutes to unshell the pistachios.
- Unsalted Pistachios – Unsalted pistachios are the best to use in these pistachio muffins.
- Coarsely ground pistachios add that nutty texture to the muffins. Don’t make fine flour out of the pistachios.
- The most accurate way to measure flour is to spoon it into your measuring cup, leveling it off with the back of a knife.
- Do not overmix your batter or else you will end up with dry and hard muffins.
- Do not full the muffins tin all the way to the top. Fill muffin tins about ¾ or 1/2 of the way.
- Let the muffins cool fully before you take them out of the muffin tin. I waited for about 30/40 minutes
- Glaze the muffins while they are cold. I have done the mistake of glazing the muffins while they are warm and the sugar glaze melted creating a mess.
- Sprinkle the pistachios on the lemon glaze as soon as the glaze is done.
FEW OTHER HEALTHIER TREATS
Originally this recipe is adopted from Bonappetit.
Did you love this recipe? Rate it five stars!
…and let me know what you loved about it in the comments.
If you bake these muffins, share a pic and tag me on Instagram. I’m at MyYellowApron. You know I LOVE hearing from you.
VEGAN LEMON PISTACHIO MUFFINS
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Hand Mixer
DRY INGREDIENTS FOR THE LEMON MUFFINS
- 3/4 cup (75g) pistachios
- 1 and 3/4 cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
WET INGREDIENTS FOR THE LEMON PISTACHIO MUFFINS
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120g) light olive oil
- 1/2 cup (65g) Water
- 5 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
- 2 cups (225g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coarsely ground pistachios
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Grease a muffin tin by brushing with oil and lining them with muffin liners
- Pulse pistachios in a food processor until coarsely ground.
SIEVE THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Whisk and sieve flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix in the coarsely ground pistachio into the flour mixture
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS
- Whisk oil, sugar, lemon juice, and ½ cup water in a small bowl to combine.
MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS WITH THE DRY INGREDIENTS
- Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients and fold to combine. Be very careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tray up to the halfway
BAKE THE VEGAN LEMON PISTACHIO MUFFINS
- Bake the muffins until golden brown all over for about 25-30 minutes. You know the muffins are ready when they spring back when gently pressed, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffin tray to a wire rack and let the muffins cool completely.
GLAZE THE MUFFINS
- Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl, until you have a thick but pourable glaze.
- Pour glaze over the muffins, letting them drip down the sides. Immediately top muffins with reserved pistachios, then let sit until glaze is set, at least 30 minutes.
PIN FOR LATER